NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Thinking of buying these

gazza666

I've heard good things about the Sterling Plossls, however, they are Plossls so at shorter focal lengths, they have next to no eye relief, which is fine unless you wear glasses. If you don't need glasses for astigmatism when using your scope, then these Plossls will do fine :).

They are superb, and theyve been compared to tv plossls, but as Naemeth points out eye relief could be an issue on the higher mags. My eyelashes touch the lens on my 12.5mm sterling so I'd be reluctant to go any lower.

Please also bear import charges in mind, which is 20% plus a 15 pound or so handling fee.

i have the 17mm and i think its pretty good. the contrast you get compared to the standard ep is great. the only bad thing is that the eyecups arent rubber so it gets pretty cold around your eye.

also be aware that you will probs have to pay customs charges. http://www.hmrc.gov.uk/customs/post/internet.htm

they are pretty decent for the price tho.

good luck

Look like a lot of glass for the money. I have had some good buys, purchasing directly from US suppliers. But remember importing goods from outside the EU you will have to pay import duty and then VAT on the total cost (including carriage) - bumps up the price a fair bit.

Here in Spain the Post Office/Customs people can´t be bothered, but in the UK they always get you.

They seem to have a good following in the USA and I have read many good reports about them. The thing I don't likw as someone earlier in the thread pointed out is the eyerelief at the short end so to speak. I used to have the full Meade 5000 reange of Super Plossl Ep's, I found the 5.5mm a pain to use. May that is just me.

Alan.

I like the Baader Orthoscopic as well but I think they have only got a similar eye relief

and the BST Explorer Dual ED eyepiece again I think similar eye relief

also how would any of these lenses compair to my standard SW 28mm LET lense

far better or only a bit better

just curious

garry

I like the Baader Orthoscopic as well but I think they have only got a similar eye relief

and the BST Explorer Dual ED eyepiece again I think similar eye relief

also how would any of these lenses compair to my standard SW 28mm LET lense

far better or only a bit better

just curious

garry

The BSTs have 13mm eye relief each :).

`be aware that you will probs have to pay customs charges`

do you really need the whole set? decide which FL you would use most..... plenty of 30mm plossls on ebay or available from 2nd hand astro sites. post some wanted ads on here for whatever FL, am sure theres plossls of members sittingabout in cupboards; got half dozen myself!

in my exp anything under $60 = free of customs charges.

Archived