Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Just Bought Maplins XM19V Power Supply have I dropped a clanger!

Hello Everyone just went out and bought the Maplins XM19V power supply with an output of 13.8volts and 7amps max,but on getting it home and reading the instructions it warns not to use to charge lead acid batteries yes ok understand, that then it says dont use to power light bulbs or wait for it any items containing electric motors!!

Can anyone explain this, i suppose I am going to have to take it back anyone use this power supply on their Heq5 just a bit concerned that A.I dont blow the power supply up and B my Heq5!Thanks for help in anticipation.

They are transformer based power supplies so should be very quiet, noise wise. It's possible that they don't like induced back emf if the motors were to act as a generator ?? but I'm a clanky so just guessing. I do know they are fine to power mounts and accessories, I've used the 10A version for several years now:)

Thanks for that kev, thats an interesting thought, the motors acting like generators.I think maybe a lot of time manufacturers just like to cover themselves as much as they can but would be interestng to hear if anyone as had any problems .Thank you

They are only rated at the stated current for a max 50% duty they were originally CB/ham radio supplies where normally more time is spent on Rx (low current) than TX (High Current) they are "thermally protected" and will shut down if you try and draw too much current for too long...

If anyone wants a meaty obs supply then have a look at these...

http://www.rapidonli...-supplies-65063

I have a couple of them in work for running burn-in racks and run them maxed out all day...

Peter...

Archived