Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Time for a step up.... Which scope?

So I've had my scope now for 2 years... A very low end Skywatcher Newtonian. It's high time I made some improvements starting with my Telescope. I will lay out my enviroment and the desired targets for my future observations.

Enviroment:

Swansea UK.

City suberb.

Living on a hillside.

Full view of North,East and South Skies.

My Requirements:

Planetary Observations(Clear)

Nebula Observations(Deep Space.. I know it wont be hubble :grin: )

Video Capture

Astropography

I have the HD video camera and I will have an SLR camera of some description soon..... So my budget £500..... What's best, Refractor, Reflector so on and so on and remembering I do have oppertunity to take my scope out into the mountains of Wales but not often.

I moved up from a 90mm Mak to a 127mm refractor. The advantages of this for me have been; better mount, decrease in focal length (wider field of view) brighter image with more contrast (no central obstruction and larger aperture), having a focal length of 952mm (F 7.5) performance is good on a wide range of objects (DSOs, double stars and planets). Up side of a refractor is that they are good all rounders, downside refractors are generally pricey! The increase in contrast is particularly advantageous if you have some light pollution to contend with. Hope helpful. George

Given your requirements, I think with that budget I'd be tempted to retain your current newt (not sure what it is?) and buy a good quality mount. this will yield far better results for AP than a bigger scope and a flimsy mount.

The difficulty with this sort of query is the addition of DSO AP. with a motorised dob you might get planetary imaging but DSO stuff will be tricky without a good mount.

My present Scope is very much entry level... Skywatcher 114 very basic as far a light buckets go, thus why I'm looking at a upgrade...

I'm erring towards a Refractor ... I'm told its an All-Rounder. What i'm looking at so far are:

SKY-WATCHER EVOSTAR-80ED DS-PRO (OTA) 80MM (3.1") F/600 FLUORITE ED APOCHROMATIC REFRACTOR TELESCOPE

Celestron Omni XLT 120 Refractor

Bresser Messier AR-90/900 EQ-MON1 Telescope

Celestron Omni XLT 102 Refractor

Celestron Nexstar 102 SLT Computerised Telescope

I moved up from a 90mm Mak to a 127mm refractor. The advantages of this for me have been; better mount, decrease in focal length (wider field of view) brighter image with more contrast (no central obstruction and larger aperture), having a focal length of 952mm (F 7.5) performance is good on a wide range of objects (DSOs, double stars and planets). Up side of a refractor is that they are good all rounders, downside refractors are generally pricey! The increase in contrast is particularly advantageous if you have some light pollution to contend with. Hope helpful. George

Looking at the 127mm Refractors now

Bresser Messier AR-127/1200 achromatic Telescope OTA

Would mean i'm over budget when I get a GoTo but not by much :evil: ....

Seem to be missing something, first in the list is the Evostar 80 ED, with diagonal and eyepiece that is on offer for £459.

Now where is the mount ?

Even a lightweight EQ5 (lets ignore the HEQ5) is £240 and dual motors (essential) means another £80.

We are already at the £780 mark, somewhat above the £500.

The mount needs a polar scope to align it and that is another £32, that puts spending just the other side of £800.

Camera adaptor ?

Already have a Camera Adaptor DIY.... Thats why I came and asked at the lounge I knew I'd get the low down on the whole cost and anything that I may have missed. I was thinking of a GoTo mount seems to be the easiest option. Yes I realise the cost is creeping up :grin: ... So whats my best option with the budget given or there abouts? I am looking into it myself but it's always a bonus to ask those already in the know.

Archived