Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

What's best to clean lens.?

Hi all.

I've got myself a Skywatcher Skymax 180 Pro telescope and was wondering what was the best solution to cleans the front lens.?

Is there a special cleaning kit you can buy.?

Hope this is not a silly question.?

Andy

Hi Andy, I've got no direct experience in this but would treat it the same way as a camera lens. For dust a rocket blower will be good, smudges or smears then a lint free cloth and you could use some lens cleaning fluid such as Eclipse.

However, having said that, I would avoid touching the front element unless you are noticing an optical degradation due to dirt or smears.

HTH

Hi Andy, I've got no direct experience in this but would treat it the same way as a camera lens. For dust a rocket blower will be good, smudges or smears then a lint free cloth and you could use some lens cleaning fluid such as Eclipse.

However, having said that, I would avoid touching the front element unless you are noticing an optical degradation due to dirt or smears.

HTH

Well said.

Thanks for the info.

I've been using a cleaner that I purchased for my flat tv which is for use on lens etc but it's coming to the end of the bottle.

I'll purchase the one you just suggested, looks a better bet.

Thanks again.!

Andy

I'd go for the Baader Wonder Fluid and micro fibre cloth as linked to by Paul. These things should not be cleaned very often, or all all if can be helped, but if you have to, the Baader fluid / cloth kit is the thing to use. If you damage the coatings on the corrector lens then the cost of replacement (if it's even possible) far out weighs the cost of the fluid. Also the value of the scope, if you ever were to sell it with marked coatings, would be significantly less. Why take the risk ?

Thanks for the info.

I've been using a cleaner that I purchased for my flat tv which is for use on lens etc but it's coming to the end of the bottle.

I'll purchase the one you just suggested, looks a better bet.

Thanks again.!

Andy

Works great on TV's and computer monitors................But no so good on glass optics on scopes.

Archived