Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Dilemma

Kenza

Hi! I plan to do AP with a camera since I already have a Canon 550D DSLR. What guiding solutions should I go for? I know I am getting a guiding scope, but should I use an off-axis guider or autoguider (with or without imaging capabilities). Or should I buy a CCD camera, but it would be a shame since I have a DSLR. I don't want to waste a lot of money. Thanks!

Hi! I plan to do AP with a camera since I already have a Canon 550D DSLR. What guiding solutions should I go for? I know I am getting a guiding scope, but should I use an off-axis guider or autoguider (with or without imaging capabilities). Or should I buy a CCD camera, but it would be a shame since I have a DSLR. I don't want to waste a lot of money. Thanks!

What budget do you have?

What mount are you using?

Lots to consider before thinking about guiding.

Loads of peeps use DSLRs and get tremendous images.

Hi

What scope do you have?

If its a newt/mirror based scope an OAG will help eliminate any mirror shift and flexure. The TS 9mm OAG will fit a cannon and still leave room for other accessories in the chain like a flattener, etc. Not the best quality OAG in the world, but it does work.

This is for your new Equinox120? I'd pick up a cheap ST80, make sure all the screws are tight, fit it to the top of the 120 on a fixed bar (no need for guide rings or adjustable platforms) and use a small CCD camera like the QHY5. I would avoid standalone autoguiders and simply guide in PHD using a laptop.

Olly

Good advice from Olly as usual :D

However I would suggest that you get to grips with AP with your camera for a few months, maybe over the winter season, then see how you feel about diving into a guided set up. This was my approach and it allowed me to learn the 'basics' of AP.

It allowed me to get to grips with things such as:

scope set up - balancing, cooldown;

polar alignment - levelling and aligning the scope to polaris for an accurate set up;

star alignment - if using GoTo.

It also allowed me to assess and learn the limitations of my mount and scope combination such as:

FOV with my DSLR on certain targets:

how far I could push subs unguided;

the best ISO combination;

How amplgow and noise on my DSLR sensor change over time.

Now I still using a DSLR for imaging and a finderguider to guide my set up. Ultimately I will be seeking a dedicated CCD and OAG, but currently plan to push the guiding with my DSLR this winter season as well as try more widefield AP.

HTH

I now

The EQ6 is a great mount.

Personally, I think that you are right to start guiding early......it's what I did and it made a massive difference.

What about trying a finder-guider? You can get small adapters for not much money that allows you to mount a QHY5 onto the body of a 50mm finderscope. Hook it up to PHD and it works brilliantly.

Guiding has got to be one of the best improvements you can make to imaging if you have a suitable setup. By that I mean that if you were using a small mount, I'd say not worth it, but with the EQ6, it will work well. Yes a CCD is more sensitive than a DSLR, but there are some great images out there taken with DSLR's - mostly though they are long exposures.

I use a finder guider and a QHY5, and it works a dream. If I couldn't have guiding AND a CCD, the guiding would be the last thing to go.

I'm going to side with those who recommended starting a bit more slowly. There already is an awful lot to learn in astrophotography without all the extra cameras, cables and software pain involved with guiding.

I personally imaged unguided for about 18 Months before finally adding a fingerguider + webcam to my setup. I found baby steps is a good way to go, encouraging me to learn a more considered approach to routines such as polar alignment, focusing etc. Not to mention it's cheaper! (the real reason I don't buy lots of kit tbh!) That's just my 2 cents, anyway.

Archived