NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Scope for Visual

for me at least visual astronomy is about aperture. this is for a number of reasons:

• almost everything looks better with more aperture even those bright Messiers
  • you can see things you cannot otherwise see with more aperture like the faint NGCs
  • you get more resolution with more aperture on moon and planets (but see below)
  • I like the increased contrast on moon and planets as well as tighter star images (with the smaller exit pupils when you use an aperture mask to increase focal ratios (only really possible with 12" apertures or more)).

disadvantages are larger size and weight, possibly more stress on eyepieces with faster ratios and of course cost.

if your skies are OK then a 10"-12" scope will provide excellent visual images but having had a 12" I can confirm that a 16" is a whole different ball game in terms of what you see and the size of the the thing - but very worth it.

Archived