NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Cocoon Nebula - Now in colour

Uranium235

Tonight I managed to get out for long enough to do my flats to add to the L, R and B data I captured last night.

But it took much longer than usual because there was something crawling about inside my imaging train! So I had to wait for whatever it was to finish crawling across the fov of the ccd chip before I could start saving exposures. It took 20 minutes but I had saved enough subs to calibrate last nights data. As soon as that was done I unscrewed the camera and blew away a tiny speck of a thing from the ccd window, whatever it was - it was very small! All gone now though :)

First time ive attempted this one, but the framing is deliberate as im hoping to add a 2nd pane below this one for the widefield effect. It could probably do with a bit more L and a dose of Ha, but its been interesting to process as my usual tricks dont work so well when there is such a dense starfield.

Had to pack up early though being as it was a weeknight, so for now the colour has been generated from the R and B channels. I tried synth green, but it didnt look quite as good.

IC5146: Cocoon Nebula

ED80 (0.85x), Atik 314L+, NEQ6

L (18x450), R (8x300), B (8x300) - LRBB

Setpoint: -10

Calibration: Bias & Flats

Thanks for looking :)

Rob

index.php?app=core&module=attach&section=attach&attach_rel_module=post&attach_id=72660

post-5513-0-30408000-1348093531_thumb.jp

Nice one Rob :) I know what you mean about the star field - it's absolutely packed with them. It's looking good, albeit a little on the green side but I assume this is due to the fact you haven't managed to capture the real green yet?

Thanks guys (and Gina!).

Lewis, how is the update I posted? Is there any green in that? Im pretty sure i'd gotten the background level flat, but its always better to have another pair of eyes on the job :) Usually, I'd run HLVG but it didnt seem to work well on a bicolour image. It will probably look better when I get some real green for it, all I need is just need 20min of clear sky.

Mark, I decided to go with R/B/B because it was getting late and I had work the next day. You can get a decent approximation of colour with just those two filters, so I always shoot red and blue first just in case im pushed for time or get clouded out.

Sorry, the background looks spot on actually but I meant the blue stars and blue reflection nebulosity (e.g. the little triangular patch below the Cocoon) - they seem to be showing up as green. I don't see what you can do about this though until you get round to capturing the green channel!

Ah forget work, I've already been out on 2 school nights tonight. Hence the imminent cold I can feel approaching... So perhaps you're a wiser man than me!

Sorry, the background looks spot on actually but I meant the blue stars and blue reflection nebulosity (e.g. the little triangular patch below the Cocoon) - they seem to be showing up as green. I don't see what you can do about this though until you get round to capturing the green channel!

Ah forget work, I've already been out on 2 school nights tonight. Hence the imminent cold I can feel approaching... So perhaps you're a wiser man than me!

Ahhh, I see now, thanks.

Its more of a teal colour to my eyes, the same colour you get when doing a HOO image. But I've just ran the synth green action on it and this is what popped out:

index.php?app=core&module=attach&section=attach&attach_rel_module=post&attach_id=72738

post-5513-0-42190800-1348159912_thumb.jp

Archived