Pin Spanner/Wrench

JamesF

I guessed at the name for this tool and the pictures that google comes up with look like what I'm after so perhaps that's what it's called. Anyhow, a number of bits for my Mak require the use of one. Basically where a component is threaded on both the inside and outside edges, to allow it to be turned it has a pair of holes opposite each other drilled through the face of the part, the idea being that a pair of pins can be inserted into these holes and then turned.

If it were just the one thing I wanted to use it for I'd probably bodge something myself (and I might yet anyhow) using some suitably stiff wire, but I wouldn't mind having the correct tool for the job. So, does anyone know where I can obtain such a tool to fit pin holes around the 1mm diameter mark and adjustable for different diameters? All the ones I've managed to turn up so far are for angle grinders and the like. I have plenty of those already.

I'm half-tempted to try a pair of right-angled circlip pliers...

James

James, if in the end it comes down to having to manufacture your own special tool head, try some Silver Steel rod of the correct diam for the holes, drill and epoxy resin into a small block of steel that will take a small spanner. or even shape to fit a small socket wrench. The joy of Silver Steel is you you can temper the pins by heating to a pale straw colour and dropping into cold water, I think wire might be to soft, just an idea :)

John.

Archived