Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Carrey mask with wires

sabin_fota

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 2 months later...

Hi,

Actually, the issue was developed by me on the Romanian astronomy forum and for those (a lot I suppose) who don't speak Romanian, I will explain what me and Sabin did.

I found, sailing on the internet, about someone who did make a Bahtinov mask from wires.

My problem was to achieve focus when using narrow-band filters, because of small quantity of light passing through these filters. Because of that, I spent a lot of time to focus with my classic Bahtinov mask, whith poor results most of the time.

So I sow this wired mask as an opportunity to increase the light quantity and shortening the focusing time.

Using a 2D CAD program, I made a template from a sticky film. This film I used to drill the holes in the right places into the aluminium plate. The picture bellow are clear, I hope.

bahtinov_cu_fire_132.jpg

carey_cu_fire_500.jpg

First is the Bahtinov plan and second the Carey mask plan I did make.

I made two because I waned to see the difference between - which is much better.

Now is coming the interesting part !

I made the tests for the wired masks. The most important goal for me was to test the gain in luminosity against the classic Bahtinov mask I already had.

To do this, I tested aiming a star 2.2 magnitude (not very bright), having in mind that not always you have around your region of interest a very bright star to focus on it.

So, meet Alphecca (Corona Borealis).

First picture - Alphecca on clear filter, 1 second exposure, bin 2x2:

1_alpheca_cl_bin2_nomask_1s_694.png

Now, the heavy artillery: narrow-band filters.

H-alpha 7nm filter is a very restrictive filter. Very few light is passing by. First picture is an exposure of 10 seconds through the classic Bahtinov mask with this filter.

The second picture is the same but the wired mask... Amazing, isn't it?

6_alpheca_ha_bin2_bahclassic_10s_360.png

7_alpheca_ha_bin2_bahclassic_30s_166.png

Archived