HEQ5 syntrek problem

your disapointed, I have been waiting over a week for my scope to come back from the manufacturers, I sent it to the shop for repairs, and everytime I ring them they give me a load of garbage , one says one thing and the other says something totally different, now I have to wait until tuesday to get a report back and maybe another week before I get my scope, and for the past few nights I have missed out on some clear stary nights

Do yo have a 12V tester? if not you should be able to get on at Halfords or any small tool / auto shop that will confirm if you have a dodgy mount or Power supply.

Also Maplins stocks a universal mains adapter that will power the HEQ5 nicely. (Just pay attention to the polarity). if you nweed i can get the part no for you.

WJMtek i have the 12v maines adapter from maplins and aligned the polarity inline with the symble on the mount itself, i havent got a 12v tester but im positive it is he mount that is faulty, the led is lit up on the 12v mains adapter so im pretty sure that is working, i suppose if i got the polarity backwards it could of shorted the bored out :sad:

Ronnie67 yeah ive missed out on some good clear nights myself, it was the final peice that i needed for my setup, just hope it will be easy to return nd not take too long to get back

The only way you are going to prove it'a an issue with the mount and not the supply is to get a cheap meter from maplin and test it. They start from around £5, and will prove that you have voltage coming out of the plug that connects to the mount. Can you post a link to the power supply you are using. Some of the smaller adapters kick out in between 16v and 21v even though they are rated at 12v. It shouldn't matter much as I beleive the mount is quite tolerant of the input voltage,

The only way to check for fuses is to undo the screws that hold the switch and handset connectors, and also remove the covers from the gear train and around the polarscope... from memory I don't recall seeing any fuses fitted to my HEQ5 boards,

Uhmmm never been a fan of those supplies where you can change the end fittings - they are also designed so you can reverse the polarity by the orientation of the plug type. My guess (and I don't mean this in any derogatory way) is that you may of had the polarity reversed when you connected the supply. Whilst the mounts can handle over voltages, reversed voltage can fry them very quickly. If it's under warranty then contact the supplier and see about having the mount replaced.

Cheers guys i did check the polarity settings pretty sure i got it the right way round but always poss i didnt, it is under warranty so ill send it back

cheers for the link titan i will get one of those for when it is fixed

No worries. HTH. I power my mount, charge my phone, run a hair driver and the fan on my scope, at the same time, using a four way cigarette power splitter, all from that adaptor.

You may want to buy a better quality power lead (cigarette lighter to mount) as the one supplied is poor. I know Modern Astronomy sell them - I'm sure others do as well.

Typed by me, using fumms...

Archived