Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

OK! Now im depressed.

bullettooth

Went to a dark-ish site last night and was truely amazed by the view. Saw the milky way stretching across the sky (amazing) and had 360 degree views of the sky (wasnt too great looking east as the sky glow from the industrial area of middlesbrough is shocking) but still great. so great infact that i didnt even bother setting up my scope for the first hour.

But here is where the depression sets in. i got home and went out the back and realised just how bad the light pollution is in my area. i wish i lived out in the sticks as i'd feel more comfortable out with my scope in my own garden.

Anyone got a spare couple hundred grand laying around so i can move? lol. lottery tonight me thinks :tongue::grin:

Clear Skies

Martin

I'm in a similar situation a little further North in Washington, yet most of my observing/imaging is from my garden. You've just got to make the most of the targets you can see from home, and save the extra faint objects for your dark site trips. I managed to catch a picture of Neptune last night, through thickening haze. Just a single 30 second exposure, but enough to show the blue dot. That made my night, as now I only have Mercury left to catch ( Earth was tricky, as the scope wouldn't point down enough! ). The Neptune pic is a terrible light polluted, washed out image, but it's there, 4.3 billion Km away, and I caught it.

I still haven't captured a good shot of M31 yet, as much of the outer disc is lost in the pollution here, though I could see the core pretty well last night. It's on my dark site list, as are many other objects, but I'll just have to bide my time.

Well I won £10 last night but fraid not enough to move :(. I too would like to move, the wife God bless her say it has to be a dark site for an observatory but as I see it time is marching on and I rather think I will be here for good, nice pipedream but I will make do with what I have, a lovely garden, a very good wife, Rubbish neighbours and a sink estate :D.

Jim

You could always arrange to meet with other astronomers at a dark sky site if you are concerned about going out alone to dark sites. That way you could observe from dark sites much more often. There are huge benefits from observingl from dark sites so everyones a winner.

Have a look through the social groups on here there may be a group near you. If not why not put a post up and see if you have anyone local to you who fancies some group observing?

I also dont go out on my own just for safety, me and a friend go out together when it allows. But my garden isnt too light polluted, to the north it is but south and west are pretty dark, the house blocks east. The thing that annoys me is when im out the house from 6.30am until 9pm and thats the night when the skies are perfectly clear :(

thanks for your in-put people. i do think that the group observing is a good idea, not to sound like a little girl, but it is a bit scary out on your own. especially when you get boy racers and the like coming around. you just cant feel safe with such people around these days.

im getting some bino's soon so i think i'll use them instead of my scope when im out. easier to bung in the car in a hurry lol. (yes i am a chitty bum) :grin:

im going to try and get out more this winter tho and go to some public observing events at the wynyard woodland park and planetarium thats near me.

Clear Skies

Where did you go where you got such a nice view?

I'm in your neck of the woods and am looking for places to use my bins... first use was last night from my back window. Amazing, and that was from within Billingham.

The Sunderland Astronomical Society meets at Derwent reservoir, usually once a month around new moon. I'm sure you would be welcome to come along if you fancy a bit of a drive. http://www.sunderlandastro.com/

i might have to have a look at that thanks alot.

Where did you go where you got such a nice view?

I'm in your neck of the woods and am looking for places to use my bins... first use was last night from my back window. Amazing, and that was from within Billingham.

i just went to wynyard woodland park. i think i read that you went up there for the "whats up" at the start of the month. how was that? im going to go to the one on the 5th oct.

you should get up there on a clear night. im getting some bins for my bday on the first of oct so will be up there more often. i hope.

The 'SAS' also meets every second and third Sunday in the month in the Washington Wetlands Trust. The second Sunday is a workshop night to chat, tinker and observe, the third Sunday is normally a lecture night. Meetings start at 7pm.

thats good to know. thanks alot. would only be now and again if i did go tho as its about a 50min drive i think.

think i read that you went up there for the "whats up" at the start of the month. how was that? im going to go to the one on the 5th oct.

you should get up there on a clear night. im getting some bins for my bday on the first of oct so will be up there more often. i hope.

It was great for a new guy to astronomy like me, the talk gave clear dates, times and where to look for things to spot in the sky this month. I should have taken their free flier but thought i would download it from their website....which i've not yet done :(

Then i got a quick look through a couple of telescopes, it was patchy clouds and a lot of people wanting to view...so i stood back and looked up. It was certainly darker than from my back garden.

I will be heading back, maybe not this friday but net friday for a talk about Mars.

Archived