Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

celestron nexstar 127 slt questions

Hi guys hope you are all well.

After many months of searching, i have finally decided to go for it and get a nexstar 127 slt.

the question is for owners of the above telescope.

i dont own 1 just yet but from previous experience which accessories have people bought to enhance the scope?

i.e. eyepieces, filters etc.

cheers for any help

Chris

I think a dew shield and / or heated dew band is essential with the maksutov-cassegrain scopes Chris. The glass corrector is right at the front of the scope and will be a "dew magnet" especially during the Autumn.

Other than that it might be worth getting the scope and having a go or two with it before plunging into the wonderful world of accessories. It's easy to spend as much as the scope costs on a few eyepieces and filters and once you have some experience you will make better choices on these things, ie: have more of a feel what is important to you.

I am sure many SGL members will recommend plenty of equipment but I would suggest you don't rush out and buy stuff unnecessarily. Far better to familiarise yourself with the scope by using it under the skies and determining where holes appear in your ability to do things. The scope comes with 2 eyepieces and while they will not be the highest quality they will get you going. It can get very expensive very quickly in this hobby, and there is nothing worse than spending lots of money on something you don’t end up using.

thanks for the replies guy.

On the subject of dew shields, better to make one and make it a long one, this will really help keep the dew at bay, aim for making the shield the same length as the scope tube

i have seen mentioned about making 1 out of a camping foam mat, so you mean to make it from the end with the big lense through to the eye piece end? (sorry not very technical).

thanks for the replies guy.

i have seen mentioned about making 1 out of a camping foam mat, so you mean to make it from the end with the big lense through to the eye piece end? (sorry not very technical).

sorry forgot to ask, do you know of any pics anywhere?

Welcome Chris!

My suggestion would be a power source... AA batteries don't last long (a couple of hours) and when they run down your scope will start behaving erratically. Celestron/Skywatcher branded power tanks are good but pricey. maplin regularly have a sale on something similar.

I echo the sentiment about a dew shield/mat being almost essential.

An excellent addition to your Mak 127 would be a 32mm EP to supplement the two that came with it. It will give you a wider FoV / low magnification for DSO hunting. I use a Celestron 32mm Omni Plossl with mine, which is a decent budget EP and I use it every session.

An excellent addition to your Mak 127 would be a 32mm EP to supplement the two that came with it. It will give you a wider FoV / low magnification for DSO hunting. I use a Celestron 32mm Omni Plossl with mine, which is a decent budget EP and I use it every session.

sounds like a good option to buy.

Thanks everyone for the replies

If it doesn't come with one, then a "Right Angle Correct Image" finder scope. My back and neck soon began to ache when I relied on the poor 8x30 straight-through finder my Skywatcher 127 came with, the RACI finder makes everything *far* more comfortable. Apart from that, a good 32mm Plossl for wider, though still narrow, views.

If it doesn't come with one, then a "Right Angle Correct Image" finder scope. My back and neck soon began to ache when I relied on the poor 8x30 straight-through finder my Skywatcher 127 came with, the RACI finder makes everything *far* more comfortable. Apart from that, a good 32mm Plossl for wider, though still narrow, views.

perhaps a later on addition but hopefully with the scope i will only be setting up with the finder, as it is a computerised/lazy mans system lol

thanks for the suggestions guys, a 32mm ep seems a populat addition :laugh:

I own this scope myself and would certainly recommend a dewsheild. I would also recommend getting a Maplin 3 in 1 powertank and powerlead. This is an absolute must otherwise the mount will eat batteries at a huge rate. I wouln't recommend getting any low powered wide fov eyepieces otherwise all you will be able to see around the edge of the fov will be the edge of the tube. I was told that realistically the lowest to go would be 27/28mm.

Archived