Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Small observatory

dmahon

I was thinking the other night, I don't need a big observatory, all I need is something so I can start and stop quickly and my alignment isn't thrown out each time. I don't even need fixed electricity - I can "hook up" like a caravan (and that will automatically enable the Powerline ethernet). I then control remotely, as I already do, with remote control software. Rather than a shed, I should be able to use something smaller, akin to a bike or garden implement store.

Two options seem to be;

1) Roll off "shed"

2) Pent "shed" with a hinged roof, with the scope parked horizontally as high as possible. Could even hinge a little bit of the sides with the roof and have the scope parked above the level of the hinge.

I've seen plenty of the former, but none of the latter. Are there any around - and if not, why not?

I've seen a few "roll off" small sheds on the forum and they seem to work well. The only problem with the "opening" small shed is that you will need access from time to time and the fixed bit of the shed may be troublesome?

Agree with Roger here, access with a small shed can be problematic, especially if you have a problem with kit and need to service it when weather is poor. A little bit of room allows for expansion/upgrade at some future date....

• 4 weeks later...

I went for a roll off shed for a variety of reasons, main one being space versus ROR..... you only need a 4x6 ft shed plus the roll off area.

I found a company that made quality T&G sheds locally, knocked up a drawing showing the floor slot which they ageed to do plus the largest door they could fit.

I fitted 4 largish wheels in each corner, it all works a treat, yes you have to wheel it off to do any work on the setup but I can live with that.

my 2ps worth

Pete

The roof would hinge right over (not be supported like a car bonnet on struts). Actually, to make it as small as possible I think it would be best to hinge the structure half way up the wall so that the roof and the top half of all four walls hinge right off.

Archived