NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

This one seemed to good to miss

RT65CB-SWL

How is this for a "grab and go" setup!

OK, first of all an apology. For those of you that were watching and bidding the Celestron C6 SCT a few weeks ago on Ebay; sorry, but I was the lucky one. :grin: I rarely buy my astro equipment from Ebay. This one seemed to good to miss.

The OTA needs a light polish. The corrector needs dusting off. The primary and secondary are clean. None of the usual 'scuff' marks on the dovetail. The only minus for me about the C6 at the moment is: why do scope manufacturers insist in using thumbscrews with small heads? (don't they realise they are damn awkward to twist/turn in the cold when you are wearing gloves/mittens in the winter!)

It had its first light lastnight for me on the Moon, Jupiter, Pleiades (M45) and starhopping in Cygnus. The views of the Moon and Jupiter were outstanding with 6mm Radian & 3-6mm Nagler zoom despite atmospheric disturbance as they were about ten degrees above the eastern horizon. The stars in Cygnus were sharp as it was at the zenith.

As you can see from the attached photo, the C6 is mounted alongside my TeleVue Ranger on a Tele-Optic Giro Mkll mount. In case you are wondering I got very little vibration from the tripod and the Giro was as smooth as ever and a real joy to use.

I was going to try a few photos. Then I rememered the batteries for the digital camera were on charge (including the spare set). :cussing:

Next investment will be a sturdy case to store and transport it in. I have been thinking about wheeled tool boxes and pack it with foam to store both OTA's in along with the eyepieces etc.

post-4682-0-35025000-1347104185_thumb.jp

• 3 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

The tripod is the aluminium SkyWatcher. I think I only paid £10.00GBP + p&p for it on 'astroboot'. With regard to vibration, I think a 'scope on the other other arm, (TeleVue Ranger shown in photo) or my Meade ETX105), helps keep vibration to a minimum. The TeleOptic Giro is fairly heavy too is smooth as silk when the OTA's are balanced.

Due to the recent/present weather, working twelve hour days plus travelling time, a common cold/flu over christmas/new year etc., since ownership, it has very little use. I have not noticed any major vibration issues. It does settle down very quickly. I do plan to do some astrophotography with a compact digital camera or webcam.

Archived