NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Awful M31!

DaveGarland

I took this last night through some fairly misty high level clouds and got this. Yuk! This is from roughly 25 images at of 50 seconds at 1600 ISO and 10 darks. But is the horrible orange glow due to cloud and light pollution? What would be better settings for me to use?

Tips please!

Dave.

This high level misty cloud is dreadful :( Had it a lot lately - it looks clear with plenty of stars showing but images are dreadful. Your image is showing light pollution and probably moonlight reflected and diffused through the haze. LP filter would help with the orange LP but moonlight is full spectrum and quite a problem. I think your image is pretty good for the conditions - you've got the dust belts showing nicely :)

Dave, that looks like the makings of a very nice Andromeda there. LP like this is typical, but it can be processed out... Try using RGB background calibration when staking (if you use DSS). Then, if you don't have flats, use something like GradientXTerminator to remove the vignetting (if you use Photoshop) and you'll find it much easier to process!

Archived