SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

C14 Mount

FarSide

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

My C14 is on a CGEM DX (not pro) which is perfectly up to the job. The mount and OTA seem to be a lot more expensive if you buy them individually. Having said that, they were not exactly cheap when bought together...

Cheers,

Chris

I'm planning on eventually getting a C14, but at this rate it may be some time off

Only if you buy in the UK. Optcorp have the C14 + CGE Pro "sale" on atm. It's roughly half their normal price.

Hello Pete, i can't actually find that deal on their website; do you have a link at all?

My C14 is on a CGEM DX (not pro) which is perfectly up to the job. The mount and OTA seem to be a lot more expensive if you buy them individually. Having said that, they were not exactly cheap when bought together...

Cheers,

Chris

Is this for long exposure DS imaging?

Olly

Is this for long exposure DS imaging?

Olly

No, it is really for planetary imaging. Now that you mention it I might give it a go with my QHY8L some time. Though at F11 and nearly 4 metres focal length I think a night of frustration might ensue.

Chris

Yes, I guessed you meant this because that kind of FL needs an almighty fine mount. I know that one SGL member has found that even the Losmany Titan wasn't up to the job.

Olly

I know that Peach uses a C14, what mount does he use? The images he's gotten are rediculously good. It looks like a Celestron.

Sorry if my last message seemed a bit abrupt, I hit the post button before I had finished and there is no way to edit these days.

I am not sure which mount DP uses, but I am sure somebody here must know.

NP, didn't take it like that. =)

Christopher Go uses AP mount - http://jupiter.cstoneind.com and Damian probably has something similar.

I bought C14 few days ago and my plan is to use EQ6 with extended counterweight shaft to easily balance it. It's around 20kg for scope, 3-5kg for planetary imaging train. I did the same trick with C11 and HEQ5. Extending the shaft allowed easy balance with only ~12kg of counterweights.

Load capacity isn't a precise term. Celestron by changing the tripod in CGEM and making CGEM DX out of it added few kg to the load capacity. On the other hand with the standard shaft in HEQ5 I had problems with balancing the C11 - I had to put counterweight from bottom to top of it (around 16kg). When extended I could use only 10 kg on the bottom and ~3kg on the top for easy precise balancing. SCTs are compact so they also are much easier for mounts than for example long Newtonians.

C14 on an NEQ6?

In my setup, the C9.25 EdgeHD with camera, small guidescope and filters sets the scale to almost 18kg. With the shaft extension and both counterweights it *just* balances out and the flex in the shaft is imaging prohibitive. That's on the NEQ6 with SKF bearings and well tuned.

For a C14 I would go for a Mesu, 10Micron or ASA mount. The difference between my NEQ6 and my 10Micron GM2000HPS is astronomical (pun)!

/per

Planetary imaging is remarkably undemending of the mount since the exposures are only fractions of a second in length and the 'guiding' is, in effect, done after the capture in the stacking programme. Atmospheric turbulence is far more of an issue than tracking accuracy.

In DS imaging long focal lengths bring a whole new order of diffiulty. Payoad is less than half the story. That said, a C14 on an NEQ6? Yikes...

Olly

Archived