will this mount fit my scope

As some will know I have a sky watcher 127 super trac

http://www.firstlightoptics.com/maksutov/skywatcher-skymax-127-supatrak.html

but I was unlucky not to get a tripod and mount with it. I know some one selling a EQ-7 mount with a telescope for about £50

telescope is not so great but I could sell for about £40 so im just after the mount really.

but will the mount fit my scope?

The mount from that scope is the equivalent of a Skywatcher EQ1 at best - not suitable for your 127mm maksutov.

An EQ2 would be just about OK at a push but the EQ3-2 much better. There are lower cost alt-azimuth alternatives for just visual use - an AZ-3 would cope with the scope.

You can buy the Supertrak mounts for less than £100 on the used market. Even they are a bit marginal for the 127mm mak, in my opinion - very spindly aluminum legs !.

ok then... the message seems clear. get a good mount or I will be sorry.

wheres a good place to find a nice mount at affordable prices and when I look for a mount whats the key words I should use. Every time I google mount and tripod I get the scope as well...

The EQ numbers 1, 2 etc, etc only apply to Skywatcher mounts. With that brand the higher the number the heavier duty the mount is.

Any other brand can use any name they like for a mount - EQ-25, EQ-1000 for example. It does not mean anything "official". The photo you posted of the mount that is an "EQ-7" is virtually identical to the Skywatcher EQ-1 - it's probably a copy of it in fact. If you compare, say, a Skywatcher EQ5 to the mount in your photo it would be much, much more substantial in every respect.

It is confusing though I agree.

WAIT !!! so if i go out and spend £100s on a EQ 5 I could end up with a pile of junk that's as much use a solar powered telescope.... o im so confused :Envy::confused:

Not at all - just make sure it's a Skywatcher EQ5. The seller should know what they are selling. Post a link here if you have any doubts and I'm sure folks will let you know if it's a decent mount.

A low capacity mount looks very different from the heavier duty versions.

Archived