Celestron Advanced C8 N-GT???

Hi All,

I am considering upgrading my telescope with the Celestron Advanced C8 N-GT. I have some questions.

1. What is the difference between the two as shown in the links below as there is a £50 difference.

2. Is this scope a decent one, I assume it is, but is there anything out there for the same price that is as good as if not better for my money?

Many thanks for your help and advice.

http://www.rothervalleyoptics.co.uk/celestron-advanced-c8-n-gt-with-free-dvd_d3707.html

http://www.firstlightoptics.com/advanced-series-goto/celestron-c8-n-gt-goto.html

Hi Bat502,

I don't know anything about the difference between the Celestron and Skywatcher tubes, but I recently upgraded to a CG5 goto mount. I bought mine second hand, but I believe that it isn't that old or used and I have to say that the motors are quite noisey! Especially when moving in RA and DEC at the same time, e.g. when slewing. One motor seems more noisey than the other - I think it is the DEC one but I haven't used it for a while due to weather conditions. :clouds2: This may just mean that one motor is set a little tighter into the worm gear and just needs adjusting, but I haven't plucked up the courage to take the mount apart yet!

I have heard it said that the Skywatcher motors are quieter. If that matters to you? I must admit to being a bit embarrased when I'm on my patio at 23:30 and doing a big slew from say the double, Mizar and Alcor in Ursa Major to the double, Albireo A & B in Cygnus! Living in a bungalow and having neighbours that sleep in the rear of their property, I do worry about the noise generated by the motors.

Having said that, the set-up precedure is really easy with the CG5 mount and doing a couple of extra star aligns really helps to nail down the accuracy of the goto function.

Bryan

Archived