Eyepiece question

Hi all

I have posted a couple of threads on these boards over the last couple of days and want to say a very big thank you to everyone for the help very much appreciated

I have decided I will be getting a sky watcher aero 2" 30mm for my deep space viewing but have one last question Do I get the 7mm or the 12mm celestron x-cel lx I want it for planetary viewing my current eyepieces are a 10 & 25 mm plossi

Would the 12mm be a better option for overall viewing leaving me to get the 7mm at a later date or would I be better getting the 7mm first

Thanks

Cannot add as an edit:

The 12mm would be OK for viewing DSO's once you find them with the 30mm, in a 30mm many will be too small to view.

Something like Saturn is good at around 120x and above, bit bothered that at 100x you may not see all you would like to.

Jupiter at 100x is good, but that is just one planet, Mars need around the 200x - 250x and a lot of luck.

So for planets I would go for the 7mm.

I agree with the above, 7mm best for planets, but I have a preference for the middle range so 12mm would be a good, more often used ep in my view, so both would be useful but the 12mm will be used more often.

I use 7mm for planets. The eyepieces I use most are 10mm and 14mm it depends on the night which gets the most use. I would agree a 12mm would be my first choice. I do have a 30mm but I seldom use any lower power than 20mm from home.

Archived