Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

whats my scope?

post-25835-0-47954600-1346275496_thumb.phi everyone,

right heres the impulse buy thats led to me standing in the garden transfixed at the heavens ( not the next door neighbour as the wife suspects)

i got it on ebay for what i consider a fair price, but the guy i got it from couldnt remember the model.

ive tried the skywatcher site but cant pin it down, and i have rung a few places but what they have suggested doesnt tally with the skywatcher site.

its an auto track and has an 80mm 910mm label on it.

any ideas or info, and wether its decent or not would be gratefully recieved, and also apologies if i have put this in the wrong place.

ps i have got a kinobo b7 webcam cheap to try and take some video, any ideas how to mount it or what thread to search for :smiley:

thanks for the reply james,

it does wobble a bit if knocked but it only lasts for a few secs at most, any ideas what a better mount might be? tho i do like the auto tracking function.

im getting the hang of pointing it at sthings, just gotta learn what they are now.

i have already obtained a new lens( it came with a 25,10 and a barlow) and i now have a 32mm plossl added to the collection :smiley:

You may find that the wobble can be reduced if you can suspend a couple of kilos under the tripod somehow. People have also done things like filling the legs with sand. Making sure there's no play at the joints is always sensible.

I'm really not sure what mount I'd recommend otherwise. Given the length of the scope I'd be tempted to suggest a motorised EQ5, but obviously the EQ3-2 (again with motors added) would be cheaper if it's up to the job. I'd definitely try to improve the stability of what you have first.

James

Thanks again ,

Reckon it's time for some o/t to pay for upgrades .

And I can put a sand bag on the accessory tray.

Been using binoculars for years to view the skies but never got round to a scope till now

Told the mrs that as I progress I will need a bigger scope , she said she can picture a group of blokes in a field with wooly hats on going my ones bigger than yours and it should be called "aperture envy "

Told the mrs that as I progress I will need a bigger scope , she said she can picture a group of blokes in a field with wooly hats on going my ones bigger than yours and it should be called "aperture envy "

Not just blokes, to be fair.

And there'll always be a few lurking at the back muttering how size isn't everything and that it's focal ratio that really matters.

James

Archived