NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Teirad Base

Can anyone tell me can you get a Telrad base that will fit in a standard skywatcher finderscope shoe?I would be attaching it to a Equinox 120mm scope and I1m just a bit worried about putting sticky patches on the nice shiny black tube.Does anyone use one of these on the Equinox 120mm Refractor .I`ve read something about the tube rings interfering on some smaller refractors,and would I be better with a stand off base to stop the dew cap interfering with the FOV.

Thank you for your views!

I use a Rigel Quickfinder and it has circles too, a half degree one and a 2 degree one. It's "footprint" is much smaller than the Telrad. I do use the sticky pads though as I've found it not too diffcult to remove them from scope tubes in the past.

Can anyone tell me can you get a Telrad base that will fit in a standard skywatcher finderscope shoe?I would be attaching it to a Equinox 120mm scope and I1m just a bit worried about putting sticky patches on the nice shiny black tube.Does anyone use one of these on the Equinox 120mm Refractor .I`ve read something about the tube rings interfering on some smaller refractors,and would I be better with a stand off base to stop the dew cap interfering with the FOV.

Thank you for your views!

Hi,

See the attached photo of a Telrad mounted on my Orion ED80

I attached a standard Skywatcher Dovetail (6.5") to the front tube ring "piggy back" fixing (using a lock nuts to hold it tight) and then used velcro "fore and aft" to hold the Telrad in Place. An extra velcro tab over the top of the Telrad , attached to the dovetail, pulls the Telrad in close and acts as extra security.

The Telrad is also used on other scopes hence the extra velcro fixings.

A 9x50 Skywatcher RACI finderscope is normally attached to the finderscope bracket but is currently doing duty on the Newt!!

Hope this may give you some ideas.

post-11604-0-35525600-1345800533_thumb.j

Thanks for that information John,had a quick search and they look a bit fragile, taking on a vertical orientation, are they quite substantial in construction Thank You

They clip on and off the base very quickly and easily (the Telrad takes longer) but would be vulnerable if left in place on the tube as they project someway out as I'm sure you have seen. They are not as well built as a Telrad although mine has lasted a couple of years without mishap.

In reality I don't find I use the circular reticules on these devices (I have a Telrad too) for star hopping - I just use the half degree one to aim the scope. I also have single dot and multi-reticule finders which I find work just as well.

One of my scopes is an ED120 by the way, which has the same optics as your Equinox 120. It's a superb scope, probably my favourite of the many I've owned over the years :grin:

Archived