Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Denkmeier Binoviewers

Has anyone on here imported a set of Denkmeier Binos from the U.S ?

The only dealer in the UK appears to be the Widescreen Centre, along with their W1 Tax.

I know I'd have our wonderful Customs to contend with as well but for the added CA and ability to add Powerswitches etc for DSO it would seem to be worth it in the end.

Anybody used these alongside any other makes....Baader Maxbright, Televue, Earthwin etc?

Cheers

IMO buy a WO bino viewer for £179 to see if your scope works well with binoviewers. If it does, then get the baader mrk V. Optically its only about 25% brighter and sharper than the WO, but the clear apperture allows 24mm panoptic with minimum vignetting. Overall i would say the MrkV to me is 100% better than the WO. But the are 500% more expensive.

The WO is phenominal. Dont think for one moment its budgt price = budget performance. 3 nights ago i viewed jupitor in my 12in dob. At 211mag jupitor was pin sharp and all 4 visible moons where perfect round balls with spheric shading.

I owned a denk II and would say both WO and Mrk V are a better buy. The denki is too heavy, the matt paint finish scruff easily and metal eye caps are not fitting with what quality astro gear should be like. They need shiney gloss paint and not pose risking scratching your other gear.

What denk do well is the power x switch. But that can easily be fitted to a mark V with a part made by a company called precise parts in USA. Makes observing so much more fun.

I bought the baader mk 5 second hand, and when I used them on the moon for the 1st time could no believe the view it was like looking a the moon close up every shadow and ridge jumped out to use a common word at the moment it looked 3d which I supose it was on Jupiter the best was to decribe it was it looked circular not flat and I don't know if it's in your mind but it looks clearer. As only ever used the baader bino's I can not comment on over makes but even if only half as good I would hole heartily recommend bino viewing.

Thanks for your thoughts guys, I ended up ordering the Baader Maxbrights. Thought that this would be an inexpensive start and there is a comprehensive array of bits and pieces that are also compatible with the Mk V should i upgrade in the future.

I'll be using them on a CPC 9.25 so there should be no problems with backfocus.

Having owned a pair of Quantum 7s, I'm already sold on two eyed viewing and much as i tried, just can't get used to cyclops.

Now sorting through which EPs to get, may start with some ES 70º 20mm or thereabouts.

Will report back when I've had a look.

P.S. We had a couple of really crystal clear nights this week, could see the Milky Way with the naked eye, first time in a long time.

Now looking forward to Winter.

I hope the maxbrights work out well. They should be a step up from the WO as they have a bigger clear app. I used the WO on my 8se, i found its amazing on the moon and jupitor. But 8in imho lacks light gathering for me to enjoy it binoed for starfiels from LP London.

Archived