Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Megraz viewed in Stellarium

Tinker1947

Are we talking about the strange object south of Megrez ?

I think it's just an artefact caused by the fact that Stellarium is showing a really small texture overlaid onto the optical double star M40 (Winneke 4).

The texture looks odd because it's small and showing more stars than the background around it.

This got me interested in M40 though, according to wikipedia it's one of the few things in his catalogue he got wrong... he messiered up big time : )

OT but the screenshot from Stellarium looks quite like a gravitational lens, kind of like what you see from Hubble's amazing photos of massive galaxy clusters. I think if Megrez was massive enough to cause that effect I'd be a little concerned :laugh:

I'm seeing it too, I last downloaded the latest stable version of Stellarium. It looks similar to a rough map of our Solar System, if you take the circle of stars as the Kuiper Belt. (Not exactly of course)

Archived