Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Box stand for skyliner 200p dob

stuffedhaggis

Hi all

After using my scope on Friday night I have noticed it needs to be higher. This would stop by back getting soar having to bend down all the time.

Was thinking of knocking up a wooden box that would be stable for the scope base to sit on.

Is this a stupid idea or am I trying to reinvent the wheel. Any one know of such products of ways around this issue ?

Sent from my HTC One S using Tapatalk 2

no a stupid idea at all as even at 5'7 my back hurt with the 200p.make sure whatever you make is stable or you risk a nasty accident and also lots of vibration when looking through the eyepiece.i personally would build a metal frame with adjustable levelling legs as it wil be sturdy and level

Not stupid and it's a regular topic. Many users seem to prefer to sit and view with the dob and there are various ironing chairs, drum stools and other similar seats mentioned which have adjustable height settings. I prefer to stand as I have a wonky hip and find a water but stand brings it to the perfect height for me. A table, box or anything you might make will be ok as long as it is stable.

I would suggest you have a bit of a test and see what is most comfortable for you. I was considering making one and tested it on my coffee table then added a few books until it was about right. It just so happened that 12" seemed best for me which was the height of my water but stand so I used one of those. I am 5'8 so you may need something a bit bigger.

I also found I had a lot of trouble with back ache when using my Skyliner 200p. My solution was to buy a cheap folding camping stool from ebay. It has no height adjustment but I find that it doesn't need it. I can get comfortably positioned to view objects at any elevation with it.

Archived