Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Which Eyepieces should I start with?

I've recently purchased an 8" SCT and was wondering what eyepieces I should start out with? I've got a standard 25mm Celestron Plossl eyepiece and a 2x Barlow. Does anyone have any recommendations for what other I may find useful and what I would be using them for.

Being an SCT and f/10 most should be OK in it.

Vixen plossl's are one at £30 a piece.

BST/StarGuider's are another at £47

Celestron X-Cels at £69 being the next.

A 10mm should supply something like 200x and a bit more if you went for 8mm eyepieces around 250x.

Really depends on the budget you plan on, but that would be my selections if I didn't already have the full set of BST. Comes down I suppose to 52 degree at £30 an eyepiece or 60 degree at £47 an eyepiece.

I am a meanie and probably would hesitate at the Celestrons. Also I got the BST's when £41 a piece

I can recommend the Celestron X-cell x eyepieces, very nice! and worth every penny. The standard Celestron plossls that come with the scopes are infact quite good (in my opinion) so I think it kind of makes sense to spend a little more for something that will give you enough of an improvement to warrant the outlay. I'd be tempted with the 18mm as you already have a 25mm and 2x barlow giving you 25mm and 12.5mm. Getting the 18mm would give you a nice spread of 25, 18, 12.5, 9.

You can use this as a guide: http://www.cloudynights.com/item.php?item_id=547

The article mentions exit pupil (http://www.astronomics.com/main/definition.asp/catalog_name/Astronomics/category_name/t1cpr9srvrxjh9lpvlh/Page/1)

The exit pupil determines image brightness and is inversely proportional to magnification since it equals the eyepiece focal length divided by the telescope focal ratio.

= for the BST Starguiders/ Explorer's. And I have only heard and read really positive reviews of the Celestron x-cel lx series. For a little less layout the Meade 4000 Super plossl's are very respectable eyepieces. Or you could always look at the used market in places like Astro Buy/sell. I always look up various eyepiece reviews, and discussions on here.

Vixen NPLS represent great value. I have three and have been very impressed with them. M13 was very nice with the 10mm in my Lightbridge and give very sharp views in my 80mm refractor. They have a good reputation on this forum for good reason.

Archived