Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Purple star and other multiple systems in Cassiopeia

I was imaging M57 last night and decided to get the 254mm newtonian out to look at some multiple star systems

I've been meaning to do this for a while and it seemed like a good time as it was such a fantastic evening last night for observing/imaging

I saw 3 systems in Cassiopeia - the one that really surprised me was Eta Cas - it has a purple star companion - I was taken aback to see purple!

I used this list here to help me make sure I was looking at the right star: http://www.jouscout.com/astro/belmont/belmontd.htm

I also observed Alpha and Iota Cas - this one was interesting because the secondaries were so pin sharp in comparison to the primary.

Looks like it will be clear again tonight

David

• 3 weeks later...

After your post I had a look at Eta Cas and it's a stunner. I agree on the lovely lilac tone of the secondary. Iota Cas is another lovely system. I'd be interested in what colour you perceive the elements to be as there's been some debate on this recently.

After your post I had a look at Eta Cas and it's a stunner. I agree on the lovely lilac tone of the secondary. Iota Cas is another lovely system. I'd be interested in what colour you perceive the elements to be as there's been some debate on this recently.

Here's my notes on Iota - can't wait to have another look at Eta

"Iota Cas - really interesting triple star with a white primary, blueish secondary and the third is red. The second and third stars were quite sharp pin points very close to the primary."

How does that compare with your observation?

David

post-24153-0-39733500-1346701647_thumb.jOddly enough I was imaging doubles on Fri because of the full moon and here's my Et Cass. Nice colors.

That is really cool - I was going to have a go at imaging them until I remembered that I'd be lucky to resolve a star much less split a binary with my wide-field CCD set up at the moment

I could use the C10n but with the dslr I still don't think I'd split them - what set up did you use to take these?

David

It is a fantastic colour double, it was the first pair I split and will always be one of my favourites :)

That's a great pic. It looks like you could photograph doubles down to around 5" dependant on their brightness.

Cheers

Ian

• 1 month later...

Archived