NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Laser pointer advice

I am thinking of getting a laser pointer for Astro use. Primarily for 2 reasons: Firstly it is useful at Public Outreach events, to be able to point out stars etc to members of the public. Secondly it might be useful to mount on my scope and be used as a sort of "finder".

Any advice on what I should get?

They seem to come from 5MW up to 100MW. They also seem to come in green, blue and red - although I think the green is the norm for astro use. Finally, they seem to vary in price from about £10 to about £70 - a green 8MW 532nm laser seems to cost about £20-£30 inc P&P on ebay (as a "buy it now") - is this worth getting?

Advice anyone?

Thanks

Tom

Not to sure Tom, but there is a legal limit on the output power on lasers in the UK, you should check this out.

Maybe one off the dealers, Steve or Adam might be able to advise.

Good idea though.

naz

I have a green one and it's essential equipment for educational use. Mine is a 5mw unit and works very well at a dark site. For city or more LP locations, it's hard to see. A friend of mine has one that's variable from 5mw up to ~20mw. It's extremely bright at the Grand Canyon, but can be turned down. Green is basically tuned to reflect best off the dust or moisture in the air, so it shows up very well, though I haven't tried a blue one.

Using it as a finder on your scope seems like overkill to me, as a red dot finder works well too, and doesn't spray laser light all over the sky to anger any astrophotographers that may be present.

Cost is up to you, but as always, you get what you pay for.

HTH

As far as I am aware the legal limit in the UK is 5mW. I have seen pointers at up to 20mW and at these powers they can actually pop a balloon! Green is the best for astro use as the eye is most sensitive to this wavelength of light (Just dawned on me this will be the reason why Nebula etc look slightly green, it the colour we can see best!). Anyway you need to watch the output power as at more than 5mW you do risk eye damage if accidentaly pointed or reflected into the eye.

I would say if you do intend to use it for public use get one from a dealer (Not fleabay) and make sure it is legal in the UK

I have seen a green laser and it is fantastic for pointing things out inthe heavens, lovely bright green line reaching to the stars.

I have a 5mW & 50mW and to be honest the difference is not worth the extra money (not to mention the legal issue). A 5mW green laser is perfectly good enough to point out stars etc. (I am not in any way saying I have used a 50mW laser pen in public)

Vega

According to Wikipedia the limit is 1mW for europe/uk and 5mW in the good old U. S. OF A :wink:

a 5-10MW will probably burn a hole in a passing plane. milli Watts is hopefully what you meant :error:

Hmmm .... A light Sabre seemed like a good idea ... could knock out any passing UFOs. But, .... Okay, perhaps % milliWatts is more friendly to any passing aliens ( and British Airways). Pity really, I quite fancied writing my name in the dust of a Lunar crater with a 10Mega

Watt laser beam. "Tom Wis Here"

Tom

• 2 weeks later...

When I used to work with lasers they were marked in 4 types, 1 to 4, with 1 being barely visible, 2 being laser pointers, 3 being industrial up to silly strength and 4 being experimental stuff of ludicrous power. Thing is, the US had standards a little more lax and their type 2 could be much more powerful, and the only way to tell externally was that British standards were written in roman numerals (type-II) and the US ones in arabic numerals (type-2). Of course we always tried to find those rather than the limited home-grown stuff.

Thanks for the advice guys. I went ahead and bought an 8mW green laser pointer last week (through e-bay ;) ). Total cost was £13.90 in P&P. It arrived a few days ago and I have used it under dark skies once. It seems fine.

Jamie - I will drop in to "megagreen" in Govan, as I now need to buy 2 pointers for Public Outreach work with the Astro Soc of Glasgow. It is all very well chancing my own money on e-bay, but not theirs. So I would much rather buy locally.

Tom

Archived