Carrying a 150 or 200 Dob

After reaing plenty of threads on here exstoling the virtues of skywatcher Dobs, I'm thinking of going to buy one.

The only problem is that I live in a first floor flat, so I have to carry the scope from my car, through a gate, up some steps, through my door, and up a flight of stairs. Once its upstairs I have no storage problems.

How easy are they to carry?

NM

Easy when broken into OTA and base, but that would mean more than one trip for you.

I'll happily carry mine out into my back yard when assembled but wouldn't really want to carry it far, or up stairs, etc. They are awkward more than anything else. I often get a bruised belly because of the way I carry mine....

have the 200 flex goto [its a bit heavier but i usually split the ota[tube] from the mount carry that in then carry the dob base in [i stay in a first floor house ] however i can lift both at same time, if i need to, about 20-25 kilo with the goto motor etc ]so the dob version only should be lighter

They're not particularly heavy, but quite cumbersome if you have many obstacles to deal with (door frames and stairs for instance!). They can very easily be seperated and carried seperately, meaning 2 journeys, but that would be the best way, otherwise you may bash the scope by accident.

I carry my 200p in one piece into my rear garden without a problem. If I was going further I would carry ota and base seperately. The 200p is easy to manage especially in 2 pieces, so I assume the 150 would be even easier. The trick is not to bang into anything with it. I think if you went above 200 the size and weight would be a bit more of a problem.

the 200 is fine in one lump, you could always attach better handles on the base, I hate taking things in more than one run, my 10" orion with mount and weights, weighs just under 40kg i carry that 20yards or so, but unstairs and I'd snuff it.....

Archived