Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Dunnet Head Star Trails

We really were treated to a night full of delights - your image captures most of them and you've composed the shot to include a manmade searchlight in the foreground below a multitude of celestial ones.

Only thing missing is the Milky Way, but it wasn't really missed - you've captured that in stunning detail in another pic.

I agree with davew - you are the king of the static tripod shot.

Gordon

Thank you both for your generous comments,however as you are the only 2 to bother commenting in 2 days i think the vast majority on here will beg to differ.

I was very pleased with the shot but more importantly we had a great evenings viewing and hopefully we can have another sometime soon Gordon.

Maybe a get together for the next solar storm.that would get everyone oohing and awing.

I like star trails shots and I think that you have captured them well. I like the foreground as well - Finding that and being able to complement that with the sky is a really good skill to have. I tried star trails once and failed absolutely abysmally. I think I'll stick to DSO's they're easier!!!

I like star trails shots and I think that you have captured them well. I like the foreground as well - Finding that and being able to complement that with the sky is a really good skill to have. I tried star trails once and failed absolutely abysmally. I think I'll stick to DSO's they're easier!!!

My DSO's were a disaster usually,got the odd ok result but it was a struggle and not a lot of enjoyment.

At least with star trails or widefield astro shots i get out into the country and can lie back and view the sky form a dark site,usually.

In the town the LP seemed to get worse over the last few years and also the neighbours in every direction seem to have all their lights on all night,

turning my normally dark garden into a floodlit arena so i gave it up.

Thank you both for your generous comments,however as you are the only 2 to bother commenting in 2 days i think the vast majority on here will beg to differ.

I was very pleased with the shot but more importantly we had a great evenings viewing and hopefully we can have another sometime soon Gordon.

Maybe a get together for the next solar storm.that would get everyone oohing and awing.

Yes a solar storm with clear skies would be very nice now the nights are getting longer.

I wouldn't worry about the limited comments shortly after posting - many may have the same problem as me and struggle to find time to scan through posts for 10-15min now and again. It unfortunately leaves limited time to reply to all those that post excellent photos or useful information and advice on this forum.

• 2 weeks later...

Yes a solar storm with clear skies would be very nice now the nights are getting longer.

I wouldn't worry about the limited comments shortly after posting - many may have the same problem as me and struggle to find time to scan through posts for 10-15min now and again. It unfortunately leaves limited time to reply to all those that post excellent photos or useful information and advice on this forum.

I'm not bothered about the comments on my posts,i'm more concerned at the lack of comments in general.The number of images posted and the interst shown in the images seems down on the usual.Yes i know its

just past summer and the light nights but there still seems a lack of posts compared to normal.

Archived