Is there a website/tool to sort NGC's by magnitude?

Hi guys,

Preparing for an image session can be a lot of work if you are just staring at all the dots ie. Stellarium.

time, location, FOV and then find the objects that are bright enough to image..

I am wondering if there is a list somewhere with NGC/IC objects where you can sort them out by magnitude.

I found some sites but its just to much clicking and searching.

Any tips, links etc.. greatly appreciated! :grin:

I sometimes use 'What's up', which is a simple and handy free program which you can download here: http://www.whatsup.ricksastro.com/

You can set your location and observing window, and the program informs you which DSOs are in view, and you can list them by size, magnitude, or whatever, and even save the list in a spreadsheet format. Here's a screenshot:

screen.jpg

I sometimes use 'What's up', which is a simple and handy free program which you can download here: http://www.whatsup.ricksastro.com/

You can set your location and observing window, and the program informs you which DSOs are in view, and you can list them by size, magnitude, or whatever, and even save the list in a spreadsheet format. Here's a screenshot:

Oh that's very nice! :)

SkyTools is designed for this very thing. Not cheap but very good. Sorting by magnitude may not be enough on its own since there're different measures brightness for extended objects (surface brightness and integrated brightness are the main two). You need to know what the list is using.

Ah, that what's Up looks interesting!

Going to check that out!

Thanks all!

I thought I had something; I have a spreadsheet containing the NGC catalogue, PM me with your email address and I'll email it to you.

Dave

And being sorted by constellations is another bonus. I'm sure the list will go beyond your scope's capability at 14th mag. The list it was made from goes down to 17th mag. - a bit too faint for most of us!

Glad to be of help. That's what SGL is all about!

Archived