Barlows - Considering, need advice!

I have recently aquired an Orion StarShoot Solar System Colour Imager IV - and really enjoying using it. I currently own a 2x Barlow, which gives me fantastic magnification, but I am considering getting just that little bit more.

Problem is, not sure how far to go and good grief, some of these barlows cost a lot!

I have a Meade LX90 8" ACF UHTC scope, eq mounted with a fair number of extras. This scope is a 2032mm f/10 scope, so given British skies and those optics, how far do people feel I can push it, I accept that for each multiplication my f/ decreases (2x = f/20, 3x = f/30 etc) - so what's the limit.

Also how much would people be willing to spend on a barlow, I hear Televue ones are good, but my budget will not currently let me own one, I have been looking at a few:

Bresser 3x Achromatic Barlow 1.25" - £16.99 -- Call me crazy, but something this cheap, can it be any good?

Meade #128 3x Short-Focus Barlow 1.25" - £36 - Tempted by this, though not sure if "short focus" will pose any issues?

Revelation Astro 5x Barlow Lens 1.25" - £42 - Lots of power for not much more price, but is this now too far?

Orion Barlow Tri mag 3x 1.25" - £56.16 - £20 more than the Meade, is it worth it?

TeleVue 3x Barlow 1.25" - £100 - Not impossible to afford, will take some saving and frankly I have other fiscal worries, but is this really going to out perform the Meade 3x given it's £64 more expensive!

Having tried some different barlows with all of my scopes, i am now firmly in the camp of not using a barlow with any of my scopes. You will get better views using a fixed focal length eyepiece rather then using a barlow.

eg: a 6mm EP will usually give you better views thewn a 12mm+2x barlow.

IMHO

IN SAYING THIS..............

if you can get a TAL 2X,3X barlow these are superb.

The only reason I am considering an additional barlow lens is due to me attempting to get higher magnification on Jupiter, Saturn and lunar features whilst using the imager to capture videos. When I visually observe, the barlow stays in the bag (well, most of the time!) :D

If I may go against the grain on this one. It is often said that a fixed EP offers better views over barlowed EP's and I'm sure this can be the case in a slow scope but I have found that in faster scopes a good quality barlow improves the view in that it in effect increases the focal length and in so tidies up the edges in eyepieces that would otherwise suffer. The 24mm baader hyperion is considered by many to be the runt of the litter but I couldn't fault it barlowed with my x2 TV. Sure there was slightly noticeable vignetting at the very outer edges but it sure sharpened up the rest of the stars in view. Just my opinion and I'm sure others have had different experiences but I think they are a good accessory to have. Either that or powermates and similar.

For imaging, assuming your camera has 5.6um pixels I don't believe there's any point going beyond f/40. If it doesn't you can calculate a reasonable f ratio from the information here:

http://www.tanstaafl.co.uk/2012/03/focal-ratio-capture-length-planetary-imaging/

I use a GSO/Revelation 2.5x barlow -- about £38 -- with an extension (the kit Skywatcher barlow with the lens removed) for some of my imaging which I believe pushes the factor up to about 3.5x (I've not measured it accurately). I've not captured Jujpiter with that combination yet, but the Mars images on the same site as above were all done that way.

There's also a 4x ImageMate for sale in the classifieds if you wanted to try that.

James

Archived