NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Joys optics

having just done a quick Google for 'Joys Optics' it appears that the OP is refferring to an ebay store of the same name. If so, then i'd assume ObscuredByClouds is asking about these EPs, and as such, in my opinion, i'd advise he/she steer well clear of them at only £15/each.

The EPs on offer there may well be of reasonable quality, but as with all things you get what you pay for when it comes to optics, and i'm convinced others will agree. Generally, the better inexpensive EPs tend to be from £35+ each, anything less is a gamble and not likely to be any better than the provided set you get with most starter telescopes - if you want reasonably good quality at a low cost, then look for EPs made by GSO, Revelation, Vixen NPL, BST amongst others.

I have come across them in the past and as far as I am aware they are based in the US which generally runs the risk of additional costs in customs/ import charges.

It seems, at least for these items that they are located in Surrey (Guildford), so I would have thought that should be fine. If this is the case, the seller has offered to accept returns with full refund:

"I have a personal Quality Promise on this great lens. If you are not happy with it for whatever reason, just return the item to me by normal post, I will refund you in full and will also pay your returning postage. You can bid with a peace of mind."

It may be worth giving them a try.

It seems, at least for these items that they are located in Surrey (Guildford), so I would have thought that should be fine. If this is the case, the seller has offered to accept returns with full refund:

"I have a personal Quality Promise on this great lens. If you are not happy with it for whatever reason, just return the item to me by normal post, I will refund you in full and will also pay your returning postage. You can bid with a peace of mind."

Thats what i thought tbh, 18.00 for a 32mm plossl. Surely (lol) they may be a little better than the standard ones provided :rolleyes:

May give it a go, not loosing anything really, and it has to be better than my scratched horrible looking 25mm lol

I think you are right. Since reading this thread I have tried to find the joys optics site I had come across. It was a while back and I can't remember the item I was originally searching for when I found the internet site for joys optics . I do though remember it was one of those sites where you get the little flags in the corner to choose what country you wish to order from but the only address that was listed on the site was U.S. based. Maybe it was an old domain and is no longer active ?????

Back to the OP's question. The rule of thumb tends to be you get what you pay for. If you have a Rolls Royce your not likely to want to put Tesco's own brand oil in the engine as yes it will work but your not going to get very good performance out of you expensive motor. I know when starting out most people think the telescope is the big part of the spend but this really isn't the case. The telescope gathers the light but it's the eyepiece that shows you the result of that gathered light. The better the quality of that eye piece the more enjoyable the views will be. Your much better off having one good quality eyepiece than having a handful of mediocre EP's. If you are on the tightest of budgets you need to consider getting a good quality barlow. This will then with careful EP selection double up your collection with out doubling up on the price. Again there are no short cuts and get a cheap barlow and all you will do is regret wasting your money.

Buying cheap eyepieces is false economy IMHO. Buy good optics and your likely to keep them because you use them. BTW you don't have to go mad and buy a case full of Ethos just get the best you can when you can.

A little while back I purchased a 3x barlow from Joys Optics on e-bay - the main reason being that I had read varying threads about the suitability of a 3x barlow with a mak 127 and wanted to try a cheep and cheerful one (I paid £9.99) which wouldn't be breaking the bank if it turned out to be utterly useless, and would make more sense than going straight in for a more pricey one. It wasn't a known brand, though they did claim you'd struggle to find a similar quality for less than £80, which I took with the appropriate portion of salt. I also notice they've since bumped the price up to £24!

Delivery was very swift with a note enclosed offering a range of contact methods should I not be happy with the product. I'm sure it would not compete with the more well known, tried and trusted brands, (which i've now added to my birthday list) but cheep, cheerful and does a reasonable job. It certainly confirmed for my experiment that a 3x barlow works just fine in a mak 127...when the clouds clear at least!

In summary, I had no problems with them at all, good service, quick delivery of what I would describe as a cheap and cheerful product of reasonable quality. (Though while I have no means of comparison, I'm dubious about the claim that it was the equivalent quality to an £80 one! If it's worth £80, why sell it for £9.99?!)

Archived