Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Juipter and its moons

Ainsley

In my rain induced observing misery that has led to desperation this summer I spotted that a gap in the clouds was forcasted very early this morning.

So after studying the software I realised I should be able to see Juipiter at about 3am. Ive not see it before, haveing only got the scope in April, so setting the alarm for 3am on a work day was easy, getting up not so easy.

However, it was really warm and the thin wisps of clouds were moving away fast. The moon, although not quite full, was very bright and drowned out most of the stars, which actually made spotting Juipter easy - its so bright. Plus the fact it was in a stright line drawn from the moon to Venus, even through the sighting scope I could see it was a planet and spotted some of its moons.

Like a kid in a sweet shop I viewed it through all the combination of lenses and barlows I had. Every so often the atmospheric blur / haze would clear and Id get a fantastic glimps of it in good detail. Clearly making out several coloured bands and several moons. Its so bright I was tempted to use a filter.

Seeing stuff like that cheers me up for days afterwards and makes all the cost and waiting worth it.

Given Juipter spins round very fast I assume I should see the red spot in a day or two (assuming it dosent start raining again)

I also spent some time gazing at the moon, just where its in shadow so I could see the mountains and craters in great detail - you could spend hours doing that. However, I had to be at work by 8.00 am so reluctantly I went to bed.

Well done on the early start Ainsley - I confess I bottled it this morning - set my alarm for 3.15am, woke, had a quick peek out the window, saw Jupiter, Venus and the Moon and with a heavy heart, decided I wouldn't survive the next two days at work on so little sleep and went back to bed.

So far the forecast looks good here again for tonight, and i figure I can get through Friday with very little sleep! So alarm will be set and kit (including coffee flask!) will be ready to go! I know it'll be worth it once I'm out the door! Plan is to start on Jupiter, head to Venus for a little while, back up to Jupiter (once the scopes cooled a bit) and then onto the moon before it starts getting too light!

You're absolutely right, it puts a smile on your face for days doesn't it?! Congratulations again on making that early start!

Well done!

I was out first thing this morning set alarm for 3:30, telescope out, coffee dressed then me out and aligning just before 4 for an hour or so before work.

Used the GOTO to find Uranus, need to spend a bit more time on this but i just wanted to tick it off my list and it was pretty indistinct.

Managed Venus too, appeared just half lit and very bright but Jupiter and the Moon, especially Jupiter, where the real draws this morning.

The cloud bands were so distinct. Loved it.

Tried to get out most mornings this week, alarm set for 3:30, weds and Thursday morning was misty / foggy. Friday morning was clear but i'd slept through my alarms and didn't wake til 5:30 (missus had pretty much kicked me out of bed by this point as she was so sick of me hitting the 'snooze' button :shocked: )

So i was really chuffed that this morning was clear and i'd got up, made it all worth while :)

Ainsley, there are a number of smartphone apps and web programs which will show you when the Great Red Spot are on show, plus when there are transits of the Gallilean moons and their shadows - to be honest the shadow transits are far better because they are much more noticeable than the moons which can be difficult to spot. I believe Stellarium will do it to but I don't regularly use it

The GRS varies quite a bit over the years, sometimes it is quite distinct, others it is paler. Not seen it this year but it was quite easy to spot last time around.

Stu

Try this web site for the GRS: Transit times of Jupiter GRS

and this one for the moons and shadow transits: Jupiter's Moons

I got up yesterday at 4:30 see Jupiter and ended up seeing a beautiful conjunction of Venus, the Moon, Jupiter and the Pleiades. Absolutely dazzling. I also saw the Orion Nebula with my new H-Beta filter. Still amazes me. Getting up early is always worth it.

Having only got my first scope in April I too had not yet seen Jupiter through a telescope.

I was just packing up at 2am on Wednesday morning after 3 great hours working on ticking off a few more of my deep sky wish list.

And I noticed the big bright object which had just come in view over a distant tree.

I quickly realise what it was and sent the scope over to take a look.

Even though it had not got up very high, It was great getting my first look at Jupiter.

:grin:

Archived