NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Hi To all,

Im off to Cape Town next week for a break from a couple of weeks and wondered if there are is anyone who can give me some suggestions for observing targets. Luggage wont support my scopes so I will have a good pair of Binos with me.

From what I have read, the Magellanic clouds seem a good target and 47 Tuc also, but any additional suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

RK

The skies down there are awesome - so many stars I couldn't find anything lol. Take (or get access to) a computer while you're there. Download Stellarium and it'll have everything you need to keep you going for the entire trip. Binocs are a great idea - hope you have a smashing time :)

A coupe of objects from my must-see list if I ever get down that way...

Omega Centauri - largest/brightest globular cluster in the sky

Eta Carinae Nebula - naked eye visible nebula 4x the size of the Orion nebula, apparently very bright

Centaurus A - "hamburger" galaxy

rho Ophiuchi nebula (possible but tricky from UK)

Jewel Box and Gem clusters

Triffid and Lagoon nebulae - higher in sky than we get here...

And 47 Tuc, LMC and SMC you've already got - enjoy the southern sky :cool:

Worked in J'burg, so much to see, get Stellarium and or something similar on a mobile.

If the moon is up check it out, I am sure it looked different (especially the full moon) but I couldn't work out why (upside-down maybe? :icon_scratch:), I'd be interested to hear what you make of it.

Yes definitely the Moon from a different perspective ie flipped over 180 degrees would be great to see. Also the large and small Magellanic Clouds, Milky Way, I think I would just get lost checking out all the southern constellations. Hope you have a great one. Clear southern skies.

I went to Cape Town many years ago (about 18 if I remember correctly). The southern skies are wonderful, and some great suggestions have been given. You may, however, have to get out of Cape Town a little way to see the best of it. There is plenty of LP around the town itself but get away from it and the skies will be fabulous.

If you do do that, I suggest going with someone who knows the area. Although Cape Town is safer than Jo' burg, you still need to be careful.

Take care, and have fun.

Stu

Archived