Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Cardiff Astronomical Society - Any Members?

Rabbit171

You know the astronomy season kicks into life when CAS present Dr Chapman it is usually his first of the season and more often than not the talk he gives to other society through the year. so his season starts here as well. for many years he was always first up but he seems to be second this year due to busy schedules. and he has done this for twenty years or more never missing a year except one due to health issues.

So If you want to see a good talk by an excellent speaker the next lecture is by Dr Alan Chapman. Dr Chapman lectures are always worth attending though he does talk and does not do presentations more likely the only one who will do that well you might get one or two pics for reference. i wish all speaker were able to narrate like this man. he could make the inside of a wet paper bag interesting

by the way if your going go early it is ususally the busiest of the year and the car park does tend to get full. .

the other part of this lecture i like is right at the end as he finishes the committee at that point are in a blind panic (they know now they will be, but can do nothing about it) Dr Chapman catches a train to Cardiff from Oxford and his return train leaves at approx 9:20 well, lecture ends 8:50 if we are lucky and some times later but, Dr Chapman always want to take one last Question and that where the fun start and you can see the people who are giving the lift to the station begin to panic it is one of them things . they have Never been late yet and he has never missed his train but it is funny to watch him attempting to answer question as he is putting his coat on and going towards the door. Quality speaker and worth the whole years subscription just for his lecture alone.

There Blatent plug over

PS: Please if at all possible don't forget to buy raffle tickets on the way in, They pay for the society scopes and obsy upkeep as the money is allocated to the equipment fund.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 2 weeks later...

Hi Lenny,

Sorry I wasn't able to reply in a timely fashion, as my Wife and I left for Cardiff just after I posted. We had a nice afternoon, and attended the lecture this evening. It was very interesting indeed ! The talk was about deep sky images from the Hubble telescope. Keep your ears peeled to the astro news In the near future, I feel an earthquake coming. :lipsrsealed:

• 7 months later...

Just a quick reminder.....

Prof. Mike Disney is giving a talk on " The Ancestors Of Visible Galaxies ", tonite 7:30 pm (19:30) at Cardiff University.

Should be interesting. :smiley:

Old thread, I know! :D

Is Prof Disney still lecturing at Cardiff Uni? Always one of my favourite lecturers while I was there!

Archived