SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Andromeda; unchained.

cotterless45

Now rising higher in these lengthening nights (hurrah!). There's a lot more to Andromeda than the great Andromeda nebula. Although it's companions can be spotted in a small scope;M32 and NGC206. As can the "ghost of Mirach", NGC404 , small lenticular bright galaxy you can spot keeping Mirach out of the fov.

This area of the sky is quite busy with Andromeda being between Triangulum, Cassiopeia and Pegasus. Between now and late autumn there are

more than a few targets in this region.

post-6974-0-70826700-1344163025_thumb.jp post-6974-0-08976100-1344163262_thumb.jp

Nick.

Nice one, Nick. Had some fun and games with Andromeda last night around 11ish - got the core of M31, and couldn't work out what the hell the small blob was off to one side - rushed indoors to look at TLAO and the Skyand Telescope Pocket atlas, couldn't figure it out at all. Finally remembered at about 1am that my field of view was much smaller than I thought, and it was in fact M32! Doh!

Might try for those two NGCs later... . Never heard of the "ghost of Mirach" before.

Good things up there, We were looking from10-1am this am. Moon came up and bleachio.

The sky was amazingly clear, by eye could see M52, Owl cluster, M33 and N.American Nebula and details of the Milky Way through Cygnus into Cass and beyond .

We had M27 clear in the Vixen 102 at x80.Most of the time we buzzed around with a 15mm SW Panorama in the 130p.

Things got so good, that I lifted the Lightbridge out and we had a superb time in Cassiopeia and Pegasus. Ending in a very bright M15.

There were a few good meteors and plenty satellites, loads and an early ISS pass. Night well spent.

Nick and invitee LeeB.

Archived