NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Solar observation, what can I expect to see?

Rogering1

Hi Guys,

I have a standard Newtonian 10" F5 dob & I want to look into Solar observation.

I understand I need a solar filter and maybe ..... other gear.

The only time I looked at the sun through a telescope (many years ago) the image was very bland with exception to one or two sunspots etc.

Can more detail be obtained?

Your input is much appreciated.

On a white light filter really just sunspots on the surface,

To see the prominences you need a dedicated solar scope that enable you to see only specific fairly narrow bands of the visible spectrum. I assume that Aus has the same solar offerings as here, Coronado and Lund.

Also it seems that a white filter on the front then a Ha filter down at the eyepiece does not operate the same.

I use white light baader filter plus a solar continuum filter and see almost exactly what is shown here. this includes sunspots, fasculae (the white areas) and pores (smaller sunspots) plus the granulation of the surface (grainy appearance). it's impressive. http://stargazerslounge.com/topic/157872-sun-in-white-light-4-8-2012-0830/

Yes the sun spot activity should be good for a few years yet as maximum is, I believe, in 2013 and then they will slowly begin to diminish. Unlike Moonshane I have gone the route of a Herschel wedge in place of a solar filter, but also use a Baader solar continuum filter, as per below

post-21806-0-82416800-1344176640_thumb.j

Yes the sun spot activity should be good for a few years yet as maximum is, I believe, in 2013 and then they will slowly begin to diminish. Unlike Moonshane I have gone the route of a Herschel wedge in place of a solar filter, but also use a Baader solar continuum filter, as per below

Nice views you have obtained there.

If my understanding is correct then the wedge would not be an option for the OP as he as a newt rather than refractor.

I have so far only used my 70mm short tube frac to view the sun, with a baader solar film homemade filter. The views are very similar to the white light images seen in the relevant forum. I would think the PST is the way to go for a more detailed view of our local star.

Rob

Archived