Are old telescopes worth any money?

euphony

Hi guys,

I just stumbled across a telescope in my loft that I forgot I had. I acquired it a few years ago when I was helping clear out my grandma's house. I think it was my grandad's and possibly before that it could have been my great grandfathers.

Anyway, I started looking into it further. The inscription reads:

'Chadburn, 71 Lord St, Liverpool. Optician to HRH Prince Albert'

It isn't particularly great as a telescope, I can make out the trees about 5 metres away but anything further is a blur! :lol:

It has a crack along the wooden side and the edges of the lense has a few cracks, but you can't see that looking through the eyepiece.

I did a bit of research and it appears that the Chadburn that made it (Charles henry Chadburn,) appeared to be active from 1845-1861. So it probably wasn't made any later than 1861.

Here is a pic (a rather large pic! jaysus!):

CIMG6671.JPG

It opens out into 5 sections and is approximately a metre in length.

Does anyone know if anything like this is worth something? Do people collect them?

Answers on a postcard please :D

Chris

I can't seem to find how to get it in focus :( I don't want to fiddle with bits too much in case I break it!

I took it apart to clean the lenses, but can't see what focus mechanism it has. i shall have a further play and try and figure it out.

yes, that's right. i was just trying that before I posted again. Yep, got it sorted (after accidentally pulling the last section out! ooops!).

You can adjust the last section...lovely jubbly :)

Personally I would keep it. It is a nice looking piece of kit and should clean up well - look nice on the sideboard! It was your Grand-dads, so you know you will regret getting rid of it almost immediately after you sell it.

Thinking about it you are dead right, keep hold of it.

Archived