SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Clear Skies !!!

BWBlackett

Good for you BWB, a new 'scope, freshly collimated and a clear sky - the Gods are smiling on you.

Went to my dark sky site for 9pm and the clouds rolled in as I was polar aligning, I hung around for half an hour and then drove home. It was clear at midnight - Grrr!

Tom

These clouds are a blumming nuisance! :D

Waited and waited for clear skies, eventually 12am it clear as crystal, setup the mount + camera, got the focussing sorted, went in for a coffee....

came out and woosh, the clouds had started rolling over :wink:

2 hrs later they were still there.

You just can't win eh?

Same problem here.

Wanted to try out the WCS polar alignment software. Managed to get the polar elevation sorted then :wink: waited a bit but ended up chasing stars through gaps in the clouds , then thick :D , gave up and went to bed. My wife was surprised as she was expecting me to be outside for ages.

John

M92, eh? I tried going for it yesterday but the clouds came in. I think I did spot it in my binoculars. I figured out that it is (roughly) at the same RA (17h 17m) as that star between Pi and Rho Herculis so with a reasonable polar alignment, I only had to find the star and then go directly north with the DEClination knob in my Equatorial. Of course, with your Dobsonian and a decent finder, it's much easier.

I seem to be doing really well at finding DSO using Stellarium to give me a rough position e.g. it looks like it's half way between them two stars and up a bit, a red dot finder (rather than the supplied finderscope) and a superb 2" 32mm eyepiece (last two supplied by FLO).

I had a great session last night - probably the best I've had yet with my scope and just happened to get my targets with minimum of 'hunting'.

M92 was a real WOW - I think it's even better than M13.

Brian.

I had a great session last night - probably the best I've had yet with my scope and just happened to get my targets with minimum of 'hunting'.

M92 was a real WOW - I think it's even better than M13.

Brian.

Agreed - said as much on an earlier post. One could make a case for M13 being TOO big :wink:

Rgds,

A

M92, eh? I tried going for it yesterday but the clouds came in. I think I did spot it in my bonoculars. I figured out that it is (roughly) at the same RA (17h 17m) as that star between Pi and Rho Herculis so with a reasonable polar alignment, I only had to find the star and then go directly north with the DEClination knob in my Equatorial.

That's exactly the way I find it. Takes seconds. Nice!

Archived