Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

this battery for powering my scope?

right i really need to get something to power my scope soon as i will be going out with my friend within a few weeks probably...

im not liking the idea of powering by my car lighter as some parts of the forest you can not get the car to, so thinking of this battery,

http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_storeId_10001_catalogId_10151_productId_264163_langId_-1_categoryId_246903#tab2

i dont actually know how i find out what amp my scope is? the plug says...

input - 110-240v ~ 50/60Hz 0.68A

output - 12v ~ 2A 24VA

it dont actually say anything on the actual telescope or mount? this is confusing the hell out of me :(

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well, as the advert says, that is a bike battery. It is not designed for the use you are proposing, in that 'normal' lead acid batteries dont like to be discharged.

You would be better with one from this page, or similar, http://www.batteryma...CFUVTfAod60kAzA

They are designed to run emergency light fittings and dont mind being discharged. It will easily run your mount for a couple fo sessions.

It would be better to get a charger like this for it though, http://www.ebay.co.u...=item25735afab7 these electronically check the battery, give it the appropriate charge and then maintain it so that it is always ready for use.

Its a bit more expensive than you planned but is way more reliable and will last for ages.

BTW, your mount will be 12v 1500mAH. a 17AH battery in theory will give 17A for 1 hour, as your mount under fast slew would use about 1500mAH then the battery 'should' last about 11 hours. In practise it will be longer than that as the mount wont be using 1500mAH all the time.

HTH,

Gary

I'd go for the Maplins on TBH.

TheThing

oh i thought u were on about the other one!

even better as thats only £25 for this one

http://www.maplin.co...pstarter-383992

you are on about this one right? does this one normally last u a nights session mate?

edit, im reallllly liking this one lol most thing is its nice and simple looool, so i take it you can just plug the scope plug into this 3in1 jump start thing and your away right

Yes, they come with a 3 pin plug.

It depends what you run from it. Mine just powers a RA motor, drawing just under 1 amp. Theoretically, it should last me 17 hours, but I've never needed it for that long!

TheThing

thanks thing im confused as i have a output 2A plug for my scope and another one i dont normally use as the lead is too short and that one is a output 1A plug? and they both work fine? so that means my output of the scope is a 1A right?

edit , i will only be powering my scope mount and the synscan handheld controller

The Maplins one will do job, for a while..... I have not had much luck with them tbh. I dont think the battery is up to much and you are paying for other 'stuff' in the Maplin one you dont need.

I would still go for the one you linked to, http://www.batterymasters.co.uk/Product-Power-Sonic-PS12170,-12v-17Ah-Sealed-Lead-Acid-Battery-(L(mm)-W(mm)-H(mm)-181-76-167)_1164.aspx

As for the RC car charger, not too sure tbh. But it would probably do for a while of you want to keep costs down, but I would go for the Optimate asap.

Gary

Depends on what you run from it. My scope's motor only draws 1amp. If you draw 2 amps, it'll last you 8.5 hours (17 amp hours /2amps = 8.5) etc.

Cared for, they last. Mine was 2nd hand, but I keep it charged up regularly. No reason why it shouldn't last for years.

You can always upgrade to a leisure battery in future.

TheThing

thanks thing i think im swaying back to your one now lmao its my birthday on the 16th aug too so i could allways get that leisure combo with optimate for my b day as the wife is giving me £100 for my b day

edit, but then again how would i plug my scope plug into the leisure battery? lol

My first Maplins jump starter worked very well for four years before it packed up - this was pretty fair to be honest. Subsequent ones have failed in months - I would recommend that you steer clear especially of the 7.5Ah version. 17.5 Ah versions are better but none of these are really designed for the use we put them to. Jump starters are designed to supply high current for a short period of time - exactly the opposite of what we want to power a mount where we want modest current for a long period of time.

What you really need is a 'Leisure Battery' and a battery conditioner to keep it in perfect condition ready for use. Yup, more expensive I grant you but fit for purpose and guaranteed for 3 years.

thanks everyone my brain is getting totally frazzled :( im just going to go with this maplins one

http://www.maplin.co.uk/3-in-1-portable-jumpstarter-383992

and hope for the best, it will only need to last me for one night and ill be happy :) as 95% of the time its in my garden plugged into my house power, right i need a cup of tea after all that lol

Out of curiosity, how would you connect equipment to a leisure battery?

Would it be as simple as cutting the cigar lighter off; splitting the wires and adding crocodile clips?

TheThing

Would it be as simple as cutting the cigar lighter off; splitting the wires and adding crocodile clips?

That would do it but I'd prefer to bolt the cables onto the battery terminals so that in the dark you never make the mistake of connecting the croc. clips the wrong way round!

Yeah, as Steve said, bolt the cables directly onto the battery and buy/fit a inline cigarette lighter socket, or some other fool proof plug n socket system that you cant get wrong in the dark... Remeber, under red light red cables look black so its easy to get wrong.......

Gary

Now you've lost me - unless you have a mains adapter for running your mount you won't have a three pin plug?

lol im lost too now, how would the car lighter power the scope tho lol

edit, as with the maplins 3in1 you would plug the scopes 3 pin plug into that then that plugs into the scope ?right lol

Archived