Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

SW Skyliner 200p viewing

Hi all

Hopefully my 200p dob will arrive to day. This will be my 2nd scope. I all so have a sky max 90 which has been good.

What sort of things should I see easily with my new scope. I live in a village between St Andrews and Dundee in Scotland . Bit of light glow from Dundee which is 10 miles away . Any input would be great

Sent from my HTC One S using Tapatalk 2

All of the Messier objects should be well within range of your scope and relatively bright. Charles Messier was using a 4" refractor which was vastly inferior to comparable amateur telescopes today thanks to modern optical coatings. As it is the summer, you might like to direct your scope towards planetary nebula like M57 (The Ring Nebula) in Lyra or M27 (The Dumbbell) in Vulpecula. Globular clusters such as M13 and M92 in Hercules. And from there your journey to the stars will only continue. The light gathering power of the your new Dob is vastly greater than the Sky Max 90, so many, many more objects are now avaiable to you.

If you have not already, you should download Stellarium (which is free) and it will show you where many objects of interest are that you can hunt down.

Clear skies and good hunting,

All of the Messier objects should be well within range of your scope and relatively bright. Charles Messier was using a 4" refractor which was vastly inferior to comparable amateur telescopes today thanks to modern optical coatings. As it is the summer, you might like to direct your scope towards planetary nebula like M57 (The Ring Nebula) in Lyra or M27 (The Dumbbell) in Vulpecula. Globular clusters such as M13 and M92 in Hercules. And from there your journey to the stars will only continue. The light gathering power of the your new Dob is vastly greater than the Sky Max 90, so many, many more objects are now avaiable to you.

If you have not already, you should download Stellarium (which is free) and it will show you where many objects of interest are that you can hunt down.

Clear skies and good hunting,

Thanks

Already got Stellarium on the laptop plus managed to find it yesterday on my android phone . So hopefully tonight or this weekend might be a good night for it .

im no expert, but 8" of appeture with the skies you have i think your in for a lifetime of objects to see. once your up and at it dont forget to give us some reports if possible . its always good to read and compare what people see. good luck with your new scope...

had it out on friday night , I am still new and trying to find things are difficult.

I found the finder scope on the Dob a nightmare to use. I have ordered a telread tho so hopefully that will be good. I have gone from a Skymax 90 EQ 1 to this bad boy. Very hard to naviagete a bit as its all back to front lol. I will get used to ti tho. just need more clear skys. My wife gave birth to my wee boy 3 weeks ago to so it hard.

I didn't get on with the supplied finderscope either, but I didn't like the look of the telrad, so I've got a simple red dot finder instead. Using that with Stellarium or Turn Left at Orion, and it's simple to find targets now. Clear skies :)

Archived