Starting, additional equipment?

Hi!

I just got a telescope, a Celestron Astromaster 130 with a motorized eq mount. I have spent some time finding and watching first andromeda M31 and this night i saw the ringnebula M57. My skies are rather lightpolluted and the sun doesnt set enough for it to get really dark yet, but the nebula was barely vissible as a ring if i looked just beside it.

I got two eye-peaces with my scope, 10mm and 20mm. I was thinking about getting an even wider eyepeace aswell as a barlow. What should i get to enchanse my viewing experience? I imagine that the ring nebula would be more clearly vissible with less polluted skies and less streetlights shining down my tube.

//Karl

Hi Karl and congratulations on your new scope!

Darker skies will make a difference so do consider visiting a dark sky site to see how the view improves.

The eye pieces you received with your scope are generally felt to be not bad, but not brilliant so if I were you I would consider upgrading to a better quality eye piece as a first step. There are lots of threads here on SGL regarding good, reasonably priced eye pieces - take your time and do your research would be my advice and see what other people have used with the same 'scope as yours.

A good barlow is worth having in your set in my opinion, but I would leave this to last and invest in better quality eye pieces as a first step.

By the way, since your 'scope is a Newtonian reflector it will need collimating from time-to-time. This just means making sure that all of the optical elements (primary mirror, secondary mirror and focuser) are all in perfect alignment.

Again search on here if you need to and lots of people (myself included) find Astro Baby's guide http://www.astro-baby.com/collimation/astro%20babys%20collimation%20guide.htm very useful - but odn't be put off! It's not that daunting and is quite quick and easy to do when you get used to it!

Two great calls from X6. Certainly worth looking into EPs. Suggested brands and types to begin your enquiry might be decent Plossls, Vixens, BSTs, Hyperions and X-Cel LXs.

Other than that, you might want to also look into:

Red torch (you can do this yourself very cheaply, just paint a normal torch with red nail varnish - works a treat).

Pocket Sky Atlas (excellent star map to use in the field).

Ironing Chair (very useful for sitting comfortably when viewing for long stetches).

Telrad (very handy for locating where you are and where you ought to be in the sky).

Turn Left at Orion (great book for hunting down some of the more popular sights).

9x50mm correct image viewfinder (everything just as it should be, up is up, left is left, makes it easier when star hopping and reading maps).

Baader cleaning fluid and cloth and a rubber air-bulb blower (get the latter at a chemist, necessary gear for cleaning your EPs from time to time).

Pirate's eye patch (handy to avoid long sessions of squinting).

Other than that, you might want to also look into:

Red torch (you can do this yourself very cheaply, just paint a normal torch with red nail varnish - works a treat).

Telrad (very handy for locating where you are and where you ought to be in the sky).

Turn Left at Orion (great book for hunting down some of the more popular sights).

I second the Telrad and Turn Left at Orion advice. I'm new to astronomy, and both of these have been helpful, especially the Telrad. As for a red torch, I've been using the removable tail light from my bicycle, and that works nicely.

You've done well so far Karl viewing M31 and M57 with the astromaster - especially with the supplied ep's. The 20mm is just acceptable but the 10mm's in my experience are pretty awful and the less said about the supplied barlow the better lol. You can take a step up in eyepieces for clearer views by spending only £35 - £45 per eyepiece.

I found Meade plossls to be very clear in that price range, and TMB, BST, GSO, and WO have nice offerings as well, so too Celestrons. I'd suggest a decent 8-10mm for higher power planetary viewing, 15-25mm for mid range, and 30mm+ for low power wide views of the larger dso's. This would give you a good "starter" range to build on.

However, what you really need is dark skies. Dso's are very faint and a full moon or light pollution will wash most of them out. I see you've discovered averted vision which is a great idea - I use that method even in a dark site. Eyepieces are quite a personal choice though - what suits one person doesn't always suit another. So it's a good idea to get out there with some fellow astronomers and try a few loaners to see what you like.

You could also make a cheap dew shield to block out stray light using a camping mat offcut for a fiver - very effective. Hope that helps :)

I just picked up a copy of Turn Left at Orion and it looks a decent practical book. Another big help for finding things up there is the free open source software 'Stellarium' it is excellent for planning and guiding your nights viewing.

I can also endorse the Meade plossls. I've used them and they're good for the money :laugh:

Hi,

I have the same scope and you have done well with the supplied EPs. I very quickly went for the Celestron EP kit so I could better understand what magnification worked best for what.

If you are not on a tight budget and you like the idea of experimenting with EPs then I would recommend the EP kit. However many will suggest you skip that and just get one or two newer and better EPs for the same money. Now I have done the experimenting I can say that a 32mm EP is a must have. I use the one from the kit. With it, even the red-dot-finder which many dislike becomes useable. With such a wide field of view if you can't line up the finder and see your target with the 32mm you must be doing something wrong!

I then went for the 10mm Xcel for planetary use and the 5mm for splitting doubles such as the double-double near Vega.

As also suggested I have fashioned a covering for the scope from a cheap camping mat. It makes a huge difference on cold nights in slowing down the condensation.

Hope this helps.

dag123

Archived