Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Skyliner 200p Webcam Setup

Hi Guys,

I'm looking at buying a Skyliner 200p Dob and I'm hoping to setup a simple webcam to get some basic images.

Does anyone know of a good online guide on setting up a webcam, preferably with a Skyliner 200p?

Thanks in advance.

I have a similar scope and, if imaging is your main reason to get a telescope, you won't be pleased with the results you'll get. You should look into a scope with a motorized equatorial month.

The dobsonian design was invented with only one thing in mind, basically it strips a scope of everything in favour of large optics. This makes them great for visual observation but very poor (as in almost impossible to work with) for imaging.

the astronomy shed site has some great tutorials - they arnt scope specific as all you do is stick the webcam into the eyepiece hole, but it does go into all the details of how and what to do.

http://www.astronomyshed.co.uk/

cheers

chris

Thanks, I'll check it out.

Is there any particular reason for getting a 200P? I'd have thought either of the scopes you already have would be suitable.

James

I'm selling the 12" LightBeast as I find it a real pain lugging it about, I'm more of a planets and moon guy anyway and it's getting used less and less. The 4.5" Meade has a real crappy mount, wobbles if a mosquito farts next to it :)

I have a similar scope and, if imaging is your main reason to get a telescope, you won't be pleased with the results you'll get. You should look into a scope with a motorized equatorial month.

The dobsonian design was invented with only one thing in mind, basically it strips a scope of everything in favour of large optics. This makes them great for visual observation but very poor (as in almost impossible to work with) for imaging.

I'm know i'm not going to get any award winning images, would just like to get a feel for things, looking mainly for images of the planets and moon.

I was thinking either:

----

http://www.firstligh...-dobsonian.html

&

http://www.firstligh...epiece-kit.html

----

OR

----

http://www.firstligh...r-200p-eq5.html

Would I be able to upgrade this mount with tracking at a later date, do you know?

----

I have experimented with both a mod SPC800 and a Canon 60D Dslr on video crop mode. I found stacking the images didn't work so well having the planet zipping across the frame at that speed. Tutorials said I should get about 5 min of footage to stack but the most I could get without a motorized mount was under 1 min.

I was not pleased in the least with the results, specialy after all the hassle learning software, setting up, focusing... Maybe imaging is just not my cup of tea but I suspect I might enjoy it if I had gear that would allow half decent results.

As a general idea:

Planetary imaging with a webcam and dob is possible, but tricky. It's easier if you have a wedge or EQ platform to work from, or if the dob is motorised.

Planetary imaging with a newt on an EQ mount is certainly possible and lots of people do it. The main problems are the stability of the combined mount and OTA and the fact that ideally you want to work at a fairly high focal ratio. I tend to have a focal ratio of between f/30 and f/40 most of the time which is really only achievable on, say, a 200P if you stack barlows. The problem with high-power barlows and stacking them is that the image can become dim and you lose detail and quality. If you don't mind small images, that's fine. A 200P is always going to be pretty good visually though.

SCTs and Maks are good for planetary imaging with webcams because they have a long focal length to start with. They're not so hot for viewing DSOs, though they're not terrible.

At long focal lengths you're always going to need decent tracking. It's nigh on impossible to keep something on the camera sensor by hand at that kind of magnification. At shorter focal lengths it's not as bad. The problem with the 200P on an EQ mount is that a lot of the weight is at the ends, so it can be sensitive to vibration and any breezes.

What's best for you probably depends on where you see things going. If you're not that worried about DSO imaging, but would like to do some planetary imaging and viewing DSOs then perhaps the best you can do on a (relatively :) small budget is a 200P dob and a 127 Mak on an EQ3-2 with the after-market motor kit (or the GOTO if you can afford it). If you can see yourself getting into DSO imaging in a year or so then there's not so much point spending money on an unsuitable mount now. Only you can decide :)

James

Archived