Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Using a DSLR to image the milky way

Black Knight

I thought I might have a go at using my Canon on a tripod (not a mount) to capture the milky way. I was thinking of trying 30 second exposures at 800 ISO. Would this sound about right, or would I be better advised to try a higher/lower ISO? I've not tried this sort of thing before, so any advice would be gratefully received! :)

I have the stock 18-55mm lens.

Thanks,

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

this was taken 58 second single exposure f4 19mm lens iso 800 with a canon 350d on a tripod. processed a little in photoshop (i only know a little)

the lens is a cosina 19-35 nothing special

post-3028-0-43708300-1343251935_thumb.jp

55 second f 4.5 35 mm iso 800 same as above

hope that helps

post-3028-0-57121800-1343251806_thumb.jp

I gave it a try, but had real problems getting focus. I think tonight I'll go out earlier and focus on the moon and then leave the focus setting as is for later.

Anyone have any tips for stopping the focus changing on a manually focused 18-55 lens?

James

I gave up in the end. What I'd wanted to do was image the milky way in the south upwards from the ground up, catching the lagoon nebula, M20 and so on. But I couldn't even make them out with my bins - they were pretty much invisible. Things were almost as bad in the other direction covering Cassiopeia. Perhaps I'll have better luck tonight.

As far as focus is concerned, I didn't even get that far. Do you have Live View? I was planning to use Live View via APT, and perhaps use APT's Focus Aid tool to assist getting focus on a bright star like Vega. Probably easier said than done though! :)

James, there's a couple of options...

1) Tape

2) Set your camera to use the * button (on the back) for focussing, (shutter/AE lock button, set to AE lock/AF), focus manually, then set the lens back to AF mode. When the camera shutter activates by whatever control mechanism is in use, it does not focus, but the micro motor drive of the 18-55 keeps the focus point locked in.

I use option 2 ;) and in fact, it works great for normal photography as well, and having got used to it, I only ever change back when shooting macro so that I can AF confirm.

I do have live view, yes. I couldn't see anything on it though :) I should perhaps have taken the laptop out and used that. I was experimenting a little with my remote instead.

I'd perhaps picked a slightly easier target, being higher in the sky. I was after the area around Sagitta and the coathanger. From the lights I seem to have picked up a reasonable amount of the Milky Way, just badly out of focus :)

James

James, there's a couple of options...

1) Tape

2) Set your camera to use the * button (on the back) for focussing, (shutter/AE lock button, set to AE lock/AF), focus manually, then set the lens back to AF mode. When the camera shutter activates by whatever control mechanism is in use, it does not focus, but the micro motor drive of the 18-55 keeps the focus point locked in.

I use option 2 ;) and in fact, it works great for normal photography as well, and having got used to it, I only ever change back when shooting macro so that I can AF confirm.

That's a good tip, I shall have to try practicing that! :)

Not sure I will get another chance to try tonight. We're under thick cloud cover at the moment and the air is so thick I could stir it. Here's hoping it improves a bit later on.

James

Indeed. I've been playing with APT on my desk this evening and it looks rather useful. It would be such a shame not to be able to play with it now :)

Looks like the moon doesn't set until 11:30 this evening though, so there's no desperate rush yet...

James

APT is great, especially for the price, and Ivo is really good support-wise if you find bugs, or just have a question. There's still quite a bit of functionality in the demo version though some bits are disabled. Can't remember which bits off-hand! :).

We have astronomical darkness in Swindon from 00:11 till about 02:15, so hopefully should get nice and dark (woo, and indeed hoo! :D). My only problem is I want to catch M8 and M20 before they disappear behind my neighbours roofline, so once the moon goes down, time is of the essence. Plan B will be to capture Perseus up through Cassiopeia including Mel 20 (I love Mel 20 especially in bins this time of year - looks like diamonds in the sky!), and the double cluster. If I can fit it all in a single shot :). Then perhaps Cygnus, we shall see. Best laid plans, and all that! :)

Well, I don't feel that excrable is too harsh a judgement of this evening's seeing, but I have some data nonetheless. We shall see how it looks in the morning.

James

Hehe, glad you managed to get some data. I was clouded-out here in the end. Hopeless :(. Never mind, we live in hope :D

I've posted an image of Cygnus in the widefield section. Not entirely happy with it. I'd like to do longer subs, but anything much longer starts to show trailing of stars and DSS won't stack it.

James

Archived