Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Nailed my first Messier

Cartman

It was a very clear night in eastern Belgium last night, so I decided to put my gear in my sister's backyard (on top of a hill with allmoast completely free view from NE to W).

This was basically my first real attempt to look for familiar objects. I got my scope about a month ago and spent my time mostly on getting to know how to work with the equipement. Yesterday, I was determined to go for my first Messier, M31.

I noticed that I'm getting better at navigating around the sky. I started with Saturn before it set (seen it before, but I like it as a starting point), then moved around the N - E sky. Learned my way around in the N to E and starting from the great square and Alfa Andromeda, I moved left. After some searching, a little white smudge appeared in the finderscope, M31. Through the eyepiece, it looked better through a 29mm then through the 9mm wide. No real shape was visible, more an oval blur with light radiating from it. The first Messier has been nailed! And all of that with the help of Turn Left At Orion and a 12€ pocket guide from the Dutch tourist association :-)

Also studied Casseiopeia's main stars, Ursa Minor and Polaris (funny how it doesn't move position in the eyepiece), and the rest of Andromeda. I'm getting pretty confident in navigating through that part of the sky now... A much better hobby than lying on the couch watching the TV like most of my friends do after work :-)

Extras: two shooting stars, a bright flash in the N sky (unidentified, happened too fast but definately not an aircraft) and two unidentified satellites passing in the FOV.

PS: if you have suggestions and/or see that I'm doing stuff wrong, feel free to say so. I'm still a n00b who needs to learn a lot :-)

I know that M31 is just the tip of the iceberg. But I'm taking my time to learn to navigate around that big sky. This is even more exciting than I first thought.

And while I say "smudge", I do realize how impressive this all is and how humble we should be when we look at one of nature's most impressive pieces of art.

Archived