Sharm El Sheikh - Star Gazing

Has anyone been to this region and then gone on star gazing evenings?

We're going for a fortnight next month and I've provisionally booked a couple of the star gazing trips out in the desert but I have some doubts about the trips.

They appear to be very touristy ie ride a camel, make bread, smoke a pipe, belly dancing etc and then an hour looking through scopes which seems a huge waste of time given the great skies they have

I'd prefer to get out in the desert and just set up some cameras and take images through the night. Has anyone found that type of tour or a company that could arrange it?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk. Blame Apple for the typos and me for the content

I've been to the Middle East many times in the past and the skies are awesome out there - but you do have to get out in the desert cos the cities are all lit up like a Xmas tree 24x7. I wouldn't take a "tacky tour" with only one hour star gazing - I'd hire a 4WD and get out there on your own - but you'll need to find serious local advice on the "safe" areas to go. (Eg you don't want to end up beheaded or hung for military spying with your gear - even binocs).

I'd research this thoroughly before going - or better still - take a holiday and stick around the city - the stars will still be here when you get back :)

Hi, sorry I cant help, but you may be able to help me.

If you can post your 'post holiday' thoughts, I'd appreciate it, we're looking to possibly go out there mid-September, depending on certain family circumstances and I'd very much like to hear about your experiences.

cheers

Rick

No problem rick I'll probably be blogging while we're there so most of the info will be on that. We're staying at the Baron Resort hotel if that helps for now

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk. Blame Apple for the typos and me for the content

I'm going out there in September not Sharm but Taba my daughter's getting married out there she's been living out there for 4yrs she's going to try and find someone to take me out into the desert for some viewing one night will only be taking my bins wont be able to take scope its to big.

I'v been to Sharm but there is a bit of L/P there but will be dark once you get out of the resort as brantuk said try and hire a 4x4 and drive out yourself I'm looking forward to Taba last time I was there the L/P wasn't to bad the only thing is its close to the Israel so thats a bit of a worry.

Hope you have a good time and keep us informed what its like

Thank you for thoughts we're not going out until the 22nd so I have time to try to sort something out. The family will love the sun but it isnt something i really enjoy. It will be criminal if I don't get out and spend some time under a dark sky

Archived