Just purchased a new finder scope what do you guys think

Ok guys I'm getting ready for those nice night skies again and with me having spinal disabilities I decided to upgrade my dob 200p finder scope to a nice angled viewer so I don't hurt my neck any more.

Sky-Watcher 9x50 Right-Angled Erecting Image Finderscope

I purchased the above, it has correcting image so the image is correct way up and also has left / right correction too :), it cost £54 ish which I think was reasonable and the clarity is real nice :) and all I have to do is align it now :)

Anyone have any thought to what else I may need to help me ?

Hi,

The 9x50raci is a great finder, Apart from downloading stellarium to help with identifying the sky where your looking there's not much more you need for visual work except differnt eyepieces etc.

The only thing you and everybody else needs are clear skies.

Kev.

I use a combination of a Rigel QuikFinder and a RACI optical finder. I find it much aster to use the red circles of the Rigel to make sure I'm in the right place and then the right angle correct image finder to home in on whatever I might be trying to find.

Great upgrade to the provided straight through 9x50. I looked at buying one also, and still might. But for now will get by with my Rigel Quikfinder. Let us know how you get on with it, may give me the the final push to get one for my upcoming birthday. Other than that a nice usable height table with some books or star charts to help you navigate around the skies. Just out of interest is your raci blue, white or black ? I only seem to be able to find in blue & that would just look wrong on my scope which is the same as yours.

I use a combination of a Rigel QuikFinder and a RACI optical finder. I find it much aster to use the red circles of the Rigel to make sure I'm in the right place and then the right angle correct image finder to home in on whatever I might be trying to find.

Yep, thats my approach too. My alternative on occasions is to use just an RDF and have a low power, wide field eyepiece in the scope so that it acts as a giant optical finder.

Great upgrade to the provided straight through 9x50. I looked at buying one also, and still might. But for now will get by with my Rigel Quikfinder. Let us know how you get on with it, may give me the the final push to get one for my upcoming birthday. Other than that a nice usable height table with some books or star charts to help you navigate around the skies. Just out of interest is your raci blue, white or black ? I only seem to be able to find in blue & that would just look wrong on my scope which is the same as yours.

Will tell you how I get on with it :) I can say without thought that it will certainly help my neck :)

The one I got has a white cradle but the finder it self is black and looks quite nice :)

Archived