Hi from Manchester

bluenoes

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi Andy, welcome to SGL.

I used to drive a lot from Skelmersdale to Skegness (dont ask) and up by tintwistle on the high peaks was quite dark above

with the glows from Manchester and Sheffield low enough to give a descent expanse of Dark sky.

Of course it has to be "Not raining" for this to work and even the Isle of Wight hasnt seen too much in the way of clear skies this

year, never mind the Pennines.

Of course when I was a nipper you could see the stars from Inside the Arndale Centre it was so clear........etc

Regards, Mick.

Hi Andy,

I'm in Bury on north side of town. Being surrounded by trees isnt a bad thing somtimes given our lovely yellow skies, aim high! Might be a few patches of clear sky tonight if we're lucky.

There is an astronomy group that meets in Heaton Park come autumn time, google group info is in the Manchester Stargazers forum.

Clear skies

Mike

Hi Andy,

I'm in Bury on north side of town. Being surrounded by trees isnt a bad thing somtimes given our lovely yellow skies, aim high! Might be a few patches of clear sky tonight if we're lucky.

There is an astronomy group that meets in Heaton Park come autumn time, google group info is in the Manchester Stargazers forum.

Clear skies

Mike

Thanks Mike, Ill look out for that.

Ive got my scope set up (sort of), jsut need to work out how to use it now. Not used and EQ mount before and it looks well complicated!

Anyway, hoping to have a look up tonight as it looks like it may be clear, but ive jsut been out in my back garden, and didnt realise how many high trees surround the garden!!!

Ive found this place, and wondered if anyone has ever been? It says its only open on Saturday nights which seems a bit strange

http://www.astronomycentre.org.uk/

Thanks

Andy

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Andy. Welcome to SGL! I'm a newbie and live in Bolton. I've just acquired my first scope (skymax 127) from Opticstar in Sale. They were really helpful, giving great advice on any equipment/accessories, but also putting me on to SGL & recommended Turn Left at Orion as my 1st astronomy book (it wasn't even on sale in the shop and I was browsing a rather more expensive and complicated publication!).

I am joining the Bolton Astronomical Society, and am planning to head into the West Pennines at the weekend, although I'm fairly lucky to live in a village on the outskirts of Bolton, so light pollution isn't a huge problem. Winter Hill and Rivington Pike are both great spots for star gazing, if you don't mind a bit of a climb, it's well worth the effort.

Anyway, just though I'd say hi! I'm Sarah-Jayne by the way. Happy gazing

Archived