Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Ioptron Smart EQ

astrofox

I had a loook at the specs, and it is indeed lightweight. Having a 59,000 strong database of object sounds nice, but with a 5kg max payload it would be hard to see how that could be used visually. After all, my 8" SCT OTA is a featherweight 8" at 4.7kg. Add the Nagler 31T5 and you are over the limit. It could handle my 80mm F/6 (2.5kg) or a C6 OTA (3kg) visually, but those can only let you see a fraction of the objects. For imaging, putting a The 80mm F/6 on it would work, but only if I use an off-axis guider and lightweight cameras. A guide scope would push the mount out of its comfort zone for imaging I suppose. Unless they mean that the 5kg payload is the limit for imaging rather than visual, it is hard to see where this mount fits in.

Thanks Michael.

I had in mind to use my Zenithstar 80 on it as a portable setup as a visual only scope.

I take your point on the 59,000 object database and I cant see any use for such a large number either. Perhaps they just imported a standard database into the software. Though it would be a simple job to filter out all objects whose magnitude is above a threshold.

An EQ3 Pro Synscan is an obvious rival to the Ioptron. One inovative piece of thinking is Ioptron install their motors in the Dec housing thereby increasing its weight but decreasing the need of external balance weights. One reason I posted this question is that I am always nervous of the first build in any consumer electronics. Usually it takes a generation to iron out wrinkles. The Ioptron Minitower II I have is a much smoother beast than the first version they sold. An old saying is buy second first.

I agree very much with Michael, 5kg pay load is very little. Beyond a 80mm Apo, diagonal, eyepiece and red dot finder. I struggle to see what else you would use it for. I have a 500mm F4 Canon lens and DS Bodies these come in a 6.5kg so thats out..As for the rival to the EQ 3 I thought that had a greater payload. I am however impressed with the larger Ioptron mount I think it looks a good value for money purchase.

Alan.

Archived