NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

EOS 300 Camera...astrophotography...?

Hey BigMan,

Yup - 300d is a fine little DSLR for astrophotography work. The sensor used it in is reasonably good on the noise front, meaning you can go for exposures of up to 5 minutes without the noise becoming too much to deal with. It also has the benefit of being modifiable by replacing the internal CCD filter for one that allows it capture data in the HA wavelength.

Long exposure cables can be picked up fairly cheaply - try www.astronomiser.co.uk (Andy will also carry out the filter mod, if you so wish). These cables work well with PC control software such as DSLRFocus.

My only gripe with mine is the fact that it's only USB1.1 rather than two - so when shooting subs, I generally have them save to memory card, where I'd prefer to be able to capture them direct to PC.

Hope that helps,

Chris

Yup, love my 300D for astro-photography- a great camera for wider field shots as it has a relatively large sensor. This article on my website with regard to focus may be of some interest as you cannot use autofocus to ensure infinity focussing.:-

http://home2.btconnect.com/astro-site/digital_slr_focus.htm

Just checking back...thanks for the help...but...my fault for not being so clear...

Its not the EOS 300D...its just the EOS 300...that darn film stuff...

Really cheap and I even found a release...so it would let me do some extra long shots on the lx90...

I have a Panasonic 7Mp fx30...but it is 30s max and has a fixed lens...

If anyone has taken photos using one of these...dont know how to get the infinity setting...that would also be great...

I also just got an AE filter wheel...so black and white or colour also hopefully possible...

THANKS

:saturn:

Aah yes, film cameras, I can help here :D

The 300x does have a manual setting, 30 sec slow speed, B mode, will accept both the RC-1 and RC-5 remote controls and has a mirror-lock-up setting via one of its Custom Functions (not absolutely sure about the last detail but the rest is good).

Used to work in a photo shop :wink:

Archived